Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Power is Back On

The joke at our house is that whenever Johnny goes away (without the rest of us) something "catastrophic" happens.

There was the time that he went caribou hunting for 10 days and a tornado swept through town, cancelling school for a week and taking our power and well with it. Quinn was 2 1/2 and Jakey was just a year. Or the time he went on another hunting/fishing trip and an ice storm tore down the power lines and left us in a cold, dark house for 3 days.

Where we live, the power goes out if a breeze blows, so we have adjusted to it. My mom and dad, however, wouldn't stand for another one of "Johnny's trips" with their daughter and grandchildren unprotected. So, after the tornado, my parent's bought us a generator for Christmas. Wait, now that I think about it -- I was fine unprotected . . . it was only after we gave them the grandchildren that suddenly the need for protection cropped up. Funny how grandkids will do that, no?

We don't always start the generator right away if the power goes out. It may come back on in a minute, an hour, a couple hours. . . or 5 days. We never know. (Mad props to the Boys of AEP! We love you guys . . . especially you, Pooh!) The great thing about it is we know that it is there and can turn it on when we need it . . . like after a terrible storm.

If you lose power a lot you'll know what I'm talking about here: When our power goes out, we just kinda gather together in the living room with the emergency stash of batteries, candles, flashlights and get cozy together. Sometimes we read, sometimes we sleep, talk, play games, whatever. But we are all together in one room, because it is what seems right and comfortable.

Then, the power comes back on. It is like waking up. Slowly and deliberately we go around and check on everything. Make sure everything is working, power restored. If the generator is on, we turn it off and switch back to main power. (SIDE NOTE: Our generator is hooked in through our fuse box in the garage with an emergency switch thingy that won't let the generator power bleed backwards to the main power line to injure the wonderful AEP boys while they work. It's pretty cool, and thanks to Alan, it works.) I don't know if it is just us, but it is a slow pace and not frantic at all . . . eventualy we get back up to our normal pace and go on the way we do until there is another power outage.

The last few days have been a tornado, a terrible storm, a catastrophe all rolled into one. Another one of "Johnny's trips". Although he is not alone on this trip, we are going on it together and the boys are coming, too. Our power went out for a little bit, but fortunately my mom and dad and sisters and brothers-in-law and other friends and family were here to get the generator running for us. We were not unprotected, not even for a minute. We spent a lot of time in the living room, together, waiting for the power to come back on. And like always, it did.

Last night, Quinn went to stay the night with Zack. Johnny and the brothers went carp shooting. Jake had the computer and X-Box to himself, so he played video games until his eyeballs bled. I fell asleep watching a movie, and stayed asleep.

Picking up a normal pace.

I know there are other storms on the horizon. They are going to come. We are going to need our emergency power again, and I'll turn on the generator when needed. I don't plan on doing any part of this storm without proper power and support, believe me.

But for today, we have switched back to main power. And that feels good.

13 comments:

  1. Pam, I can see where your power is going to come from...writing! It is very powerful. Keep it up, it is your therapy, be sure to make time. Keep the positive attitude it is everything. Thank you for sharing your journey. Your family will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy, you are a great writer and as you know from Molly...writing is good therapy. Amazed at your courage and strength...still praying...won't stop.
    Kelly, AJ, & kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi--I slept until noon today--after not sleeping well since Wednesday. That "power" must have been sent to all the Brawleys. Rumor has it our beloved in-laws are home...can't keep Crazy MIL away when one of us is down. Jim said the carp hunt was fun...lots of laughter and lots of optimism. Johnny is so damn strong and that is helping all the guys I think. : )

    You keep writing my dear. This journey is worth keeping track of and makes us all better people to say the least.

    As Sheryl used to say, you are freaking AMAZING!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may not say it often, but I still think you all are freaking AMAZING!!!!!!!
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Blog! I added you to my blogroll, Cancer Blog Links at www.beingcancer.net
    Take care, dennis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I feel like i've just started this amazing new book...and by the way, I only read books with happy endings!!!! Thanks for the posts, I so much admire your strength and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To the Brawley Clan,

    I just wanted to take a moment to say that you have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard the news and you will all continue to be. What strength you will draw from the support of your family and many friends...and their friends, and their friends...

    May God bring you strength and peace throughout the troubling days ahead,

    Jen Freeze

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi--I keep forgetting to tell you this--and you have probably already figured it out but...

    I am assuming you are going to be the type of patient advocate that wants to know the details of everything...so make sure you get copies of all your reports--pathologies, scans, etc. My surgeon always did it for me, but I had to ask Dr. Ansari. Then, keep everything in a notebook. (mine was titled the big PINK boob binder)I kept phamplets, support group info, phone numbers etc. The other thing that really helped was to keep a list of each doctor's phone numbers either ON your cell phone or in your purse. And eventually, you will have to keep a list of meds etc. I can't tell you how many times I dig out my path reports and scans...just to make sure I know the lingo. If it all becomes overwhelming, then don't do it. Let the docs do their thing... You will know when you are overwhelmed.

    I also talked to my sis today and they do chemo-embolizations (whatever that is) at Bronson and she said they are working really well for patients with liver mets from the colon. I hadn't heard of that so I thought I would throw that out there. I am sure Dr. Ansari has all that at his disposal as well.

    Anyway...just thinking about you and will see you later I am sure.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, you two! Thought about you all weekend and sent positive energy your way! Here's to a hopeful week with lots of good news! Johnny, take Pam to see the movie:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking about you guys today. It was nice seeing Johnny at the ballpark this weekend. I agree with Molly...we kept a binder with all of Troy's "stuff" in it. I still keep it up to date with his labs ect. Sounds like today will be very busy, know that lots of prayers are coming your way:)

    April

    ReplyDelete
  11. Johnny, Pam, Quinn and Jake.

    It is Uncle Bill, Aunty Robyn, Lizzie and all THE YOUNG AMERICANS AROUND THE WORLD......Johnny & Pam....and all The Brawley Clan are on the biggest and most alive prayer chain around the world - so the POWER IS GOING UP THROUGH THE SKY RIGHT NOW.
    We are all believing and standing strong WITH YOU AND ALL OUR AMAZING FAMILY.
    MARK 11:24
    We staged a show today and added "Amazing Grace" into it - and thought of Jake playing the guitar for us in our room at Boyne Highlands...and how the song holds dear to our family in Australia and in Niles, Michigan.
    always
    BillRobynLizzie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was thinking of your family this weekend. We
    were playing Baseball in Potterville and had
    some down time. Decided to take in the sites. We went to a local bar that is famous for Deep Fried Chicken Gizzards. No one was
    aerodynamic, but Brad, Matt, Landon K and I did try the gizzards.
    Joyce Miller

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weirdness......WE still have our binder too! I think I'm too scared to throw it away and too scared to look at it all at the same time. I will say though, I re-read the blood school lady stuff from time to time to make sure that I know what I'm looking at when we get results back. So, we called our binder the "great big book of everything" and it currently resides in our basement. Now, for the important stuff....we are ALL praying for you and even my co-workers are in the loop now....Firefighters and Realtors, Relatives and virtual stangers. We are promising you our prayers and good thoughts! The only two good things about cancer are that your priorities are magically corrected immediately and that you believe once again in the pure good hearts that are still out there!
    We love you all-
    george ann, derek and the boys

    ReplyDelete