Saturday, July 18, 2009

Looks Like a Junior Mint to Me

Friday morning came awfully early.

Our trip to Chicago on Thursday night was AMAZING! Seriously, Billy Joel and Elton John have been in the entertainment business for a million years for good reason! At first when we arrived at the Will Call booth, our tickets hadn't come down yet from the promoter that provided them to us. We tried to go get dinner, but evidently others had the same idea as well. We actually ordered dinner, but it never came. I wish I remembered the name of the restaurant, because I would post it on here and tell you all to NEVER go there. . . but alas, I don't.

We went back to the Will Call booth. . . still no tickets. I have to admit, I was getting a little nervous but I figured no matter what happened, it was a trip to Chicago and we could just go into town to get a proper dinner. Finally our tickets arrived. Molly handed them to us and when we looked at them, we saw that WE WERE ON THE FIELD! I didn't even care if we were in the bleachers, but the field was good, too. Molly had a printed map of the sections that she brought with her and our section was 'E'. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????!!!!

It just happens that Section E is center stage in the middle of center field at Wrigley. We were 14 rows away from Elton Frickin' John and Billy Flippin' Joel! Oh, man was that a great show. You really forget how many songs you know by both of them. I kept on thinking, "I forgot about that one." and "Oh, yeah, that is by him, too."

Johnny and I turned around at one point to look at the filled stadium from where we were, and I have to tell you. . . that was an awesome sight as well. Johnny said, "This is what the outfielder sees." So cool.

I made it through most of the concert without thinking of . . . you know. But for some reason, the song "Candle in the Wind" did me in. I tried really hard to pull it together so I wouldn't spoil the whole night and managed to by the end of the song. Isn't that weird? There is no connection with Marilyn Monroe and Johnny that I know of (other than his choice in women). I wasn't even that affected by Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young." Although I do love the line, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun." We got home by 3 a.m.

Thanks again and again, Lonnie. And by the way -- which bedroom do you want?

We were off to the surgery center at 7:30. Johnny's port placement went very smoothly. We were done and out of there by about 11:30, I think. Crazy MIL (as on Molly's blog, this is what we call our Crazy Mother-in-law, Ginger) went with us again and it was nice to have here there with me. (And I'm not just writing this because Becky Hamm prints out the blog for my technologically-challenged MIL to read.) Hi, Ging.

Oh, and Donna -- Ginger wants me to tell you hello and that you have liquid refreshment on its way up to you when Pooh comes up. If Ginger had a computer/email/Facebook/cell phone she could do this herself, couldn't she? :)

I mentioned the Seinfeld reference of the Junior Mint episode in the last post and wouldn't you know, that is exactly what the port under the skin looks like. Dr. Delle Donne assured us that it is, in fact, the port-a-cath and not a Junior Mint.

So, again I am reaching out and asking for prayers for my Johnny. We are both a bit nervous about our appointment with Dr. Ansari on Monday (2:30). The potential for finding out more bad news is looming over us, and we hate that. On the other hand we will be armed with the chemo plan. Finally attacking this awful cancer will feel really good.

Mark 11:24

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

And we believe . . .

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!
    love and prayers coming your way!
    george ann , derek, chad and ryne nolan

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, sounds like you had a blast. chi-town is one of a kind, good and bad restaurants alike. keep smiling, look in the mirror and see what God has created, a beautiful person brought here to share with us all. thanks for being in our lives. the holland's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi--I really feel in my heart you will have no negative surprises. However, it is safe to KNOW that no matter what, you are going to leave Ansari's office with a PLAN. Then it is time to get down to business!!!

    Love you much--

    Molly

    ReplyDelete