Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gaping Hole

As I mentioned yesterday, there was a little spot on the edge of Johnny's incision from his port that pulled apart a bit. Johnny called Dr. Delle Donne's office and got right in. Since Dr. Delle Donne was on vacation, Dr. Noveroske checked it for us. It was separated a little bit, but it wasn't red, inflamed or even oozy. He had the nurse put a couple more steri-strips on it and gave us a prescription for an antibiotic and sent us on our way. It made me feel better to know that the doctor wasn't too concerned about it. We will have Dr. Al-Fadhl check it tomorrow at Johnny's office visit and then again on Monday before he has Round 2 of chemo.

I didn't realize that Johnny was that concerned about it but mentioned it when we left the office. "Oh, by the way, don't ever use the term 'Gaping Hole' in reference to something on me." I guess when I was checking it last night I was a little concerned and told him we needed to call the doctor about the "gaping hole". I didn't realize that I struck terror in his poor little heart for the entire night. Ooops.

After we left the office today, we were walking in the parking garage and heard someone very obviously struggling and in a great deal of pain. Oooo-ing and Aaaaahh-ing in a very agonizing way. We walked between some cars to see if we could help and found no one. So, we walked a little farther down and heard this poor person again. We walked between two different cars to find whomever was struggling. Again, no one. Some guy across the garage saw us looking and yelled, "Pigeons!" Are you flippin' kidding me? But, yeah, it was pigeons. Are we that stupid or is it where our minds are these days? I like to think that we are just that incredibly compassionate.


I was thrust back into the real world of the cath lab again last night when I was called in at 11:30 p.m. Call completely blows. For anyone that has never been on call -- you have no idea how smart you were to choose a career that doesn't require call. I will steer my children far far away from anything in health care, just so they can have a life that actually includes family time. Seriously, I hate it that much. I got home at about 1:30 a.m. and finally fell asleep around 2:30. The adrenaline rush doesn't allow you to fall asleep quickly after a call in. Up at 6:30 to go back to work for my regular day and then worked until 6:30 p.m. this evening because, you guessed it -- I'm on call tonight, too. Really, I am very happy with my job most of the time. I work with great people, great doctors and actually do like what I do. Johnny having cancer has made simply leaving him at home an ordeal, let alone having to leave in the middle of the night and/or stay late the next day. I just don't want to be away. Simple as that.

Thanks to everyone that has come to my rescue with meals and goodies. Holy cow, you guys are good. Rachel Ray has nothing on you! Lori Brawley has offered to be our meal coordinator which is a great help. Johnny has taken a couple phone calls from friends and then forgets what they said or the date that they want to bring something. You can see how this would get interesting, right? So, if you are thinking about a meal, please contact Lori Brawley and she will tell you where/when there is a need. And thank you to EVERYONE for this great stress relief. Please contact Lori at home 269-684-7021 or by email at clbrawley@comcast.net. Thank you, Lori for doing this for us.

5 comments:

  1. Came here to click one more time before bed and caught an update....BONUS!
    Awesome idea this meal coordinator position-
    one less thing on your list of things is great! Glad to hear the "you know what" has been secured by additional steri strips.
    Your fellow cath-lab buddie, and Ryne's God-Mother, Andrea Tafelski, sends her love and prayers via my post.
    know we love you and we believe too!
    george, derek, chad and ryne nolan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam...Can't imagine what it must be like to leave Johnny and go to work. Think of it this way, you are to those at work, as your family and friends have been to you and Johnny....IMPORTANT! You are making a difference to others when you are there! However, if I win the lotto I'll be glad to give you enough to stay home with your hubby:) Hang in there sister!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the time that you are feeling better. How many chemo treatments will Johnny have to endure? Do you know where he will go for the surgery? I love your blog. It is great therapy. Keep up the good work. I prayed for you and your family this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi--I think you are at work clicking based on my profits for today! You go girl!!!! I have spent this morning clicking for you. What racketeers we are!

    Also, did you get the hoho cake from Sheryl? Did you love it as much as we do at work? I bet Mr. Chocolate Jakie did!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete