Thursday, July 23, 2009

5-FU

Still quiet in our house today. My Johnny had a rough night and without going into unnecessary details, let me just say it was just like you'd think it would be for a guy on chemotherapy.

I made sure that his meds were ready every 4 hours (actually closer to 3 1/2 hours most of the time, but don't tell anyone). Finally at about 4:00 this morning he asked for Vicodin to go along with the Compazine and Ativan. The area around the port was aching, so we went with the maximum dose there, too. After about 40 minutes I could hear him snoring and I was relieved that he had actually fallen asleep.

I called Ginger at 6:30 a.m. to ask if she would come over and stay with him while I went to work. I didn't want him to be alone, and I didn't want the kids to bear the responsibility of taking care of their dad with all of this. Ginger, of course, came right over. I know it is so hard on her to go through this (it isn't easy on anyone). Johnny is her baby after all. I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to take care of one of my boys, no matter how old. So, Ginger will always be my first "Go To" for the care-taking of Johnny. He is most comfortable with her, anyway, so it all works out.

Dr. Ansari's office called in a different medicine to try (Zofran) so I picked that up on my way home to unhook his pump. Right when I got home I took the pump off of him so that he could finally get comfortable. (And no, I never said "Whoops!" ) I flushed the lines and thought, "Oh, crap. This is flushing the rest of the medicine into him pretty quickly." A bigger bolus than just the 2.5 cc's per hour that had been infusing over the last 46 hours.

He felt pretty good for a while, and got up to take a bath and change jammies. Then the last "line flushing" bolus hit. Dang, back to the bucket.

I'm hoping that since the pump is now off, his night will be much more restful. He is going to get the mother load of nausea meds: Zofran, Compazine, Ativan and even the Vicodin thrown in for good measure. He just told me that he is already feeling a little better, and then turned around and went right back to bed.

I think the weakness has really surprised him, as it has me. This 5-FU stuff (the medicine on the pump) is evil and I think is the reason he got so sick. I hope this means that we caught the liver and colon off guard and the chemo is wreaking havoc right now. I like the name 5-FU, though. It is what I thought of all last night: FU cancer, FU.

4 comments:

  1. When the nurse gave my mom the 5-FU she said the name is "very appropriate." I am not sure my mom ever understood what she meant but my dad and sis sure did!. : )

    I am glad that Ginger is there to help. i bet she is cleaning your house too! Know that I can always run something over, stay, do whatever. I go back to work in about two weeks but am just a phone call away.

    And when he is ready to eat, you let us know. We will either make it or get it! Weren't you driving me around trying to find a soft pretzel when I was sick from pregnancy? I know his is worse, but if Johnny wants a soft pretzel or anything I will get it!!!!

    Again, are you taking care of yourself???

    Molly

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're thinking of you all.....all the time. Of course, if you need anything, please don't hesitate to call.
    Barfing absolutely sucks. I'm so sorry. Glad to see the Zofran added....Kytril (sp?) was our pre-bastardly-but-necessary-chemo friend but I don't know if that's for big people or just for kids.....
    I'm secretly counting backwards from 92 hours and praying for improvement before that!
    love you-
    george ann, derek, chad and ryne nolan

    We

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the name 5 FU....its like 5 middle fingers up at that cancer! Hang in there you guys. We are thinking about you all the time and praying for your entire family.

    Pam, if you are at Memorial and ever find yourself in the waiting room for some reason, just come down to the Ronald McDonald Family Room and find me and I will take a break and we can go get a coffee or lunch or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just got back from montana and i am reading all you have written. im praying for your family everyday and i love you all :)
    love: Savannah Stowe ♥

    ReplyDelete