Monday, July 27, 2009

Back to Normal

I'm trying really hard to come up with something to entertain the masses, and yet nothing happened today that will entertain you.

OK, I could tell you all about what happened today at work, but what with HIPPA I would get into a lot of trouble, so I won't do that.

I could tell you that Johnny went to work today, too, and walked around talking to everyone and in general had a good time. Like he does all the time at work. Honestly, he has the best job in the world. He works for a great company that is really taking GREAT care of him with this cancer bit. He is "on location" for a company that appreciates him and is also taking very good care of him. The people he works with are good friends and call all the time to check on him. He was there a few hours, but then hit a wall and needed to come home and sleep for a while. That's ok.

My only concern for today is that the incision site for the port has pulled open a little bit on one side. I don't want any infection concerns, so tomorrow we will need to check with the doctor. I'm sure it just needs to be cleaned out and possibly re-stitched a bit on the edge, if they even do that. Not sure. It will be taken care of tomorrow, I promise.

Quinn and Jake were at MIL and FIL's all weekend, so tonight with them home, and me and Johnny tired from work it seems like any other night at the Brawley's. Really, that is how exciting it is . . . life feels so normal today. I love normal. It is even a bit boring, and yet I love it all the same.

Thanks for checking in on Johnny. We really do appreciate it. Please keep the comments coming -- I read them to Johnny while he lounges on the couch and I'm messing around on the computer. I feel like it validates the incredible amount of time I can waste on this machine!

Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it and it will be yours.

11 comments:

  1. I have questions.....since you have a tiny bit of free time (I want to take it up !) maybe you could indulge me....maybe.

    Do you at some point but obviously not quite yet have to worry about germs and immune supression like we had to with Ry...or is that a kid only worry? Outside of kid-chemo, I am chemo for the masses challenged. Help me o wise one who cannot dish about work due to HIPPA but has zero issue keeping us all (and we are sooooo grateful) informed about every detail of her Toad....and the fam. and the fight and the state of her magazines (very rearranged from what we gather)
    seriously, glad to hear of a glimmer of normal in the Brawley household. I have a mouse-related-callous from clicking - FYI!
    love to you all-
    praying and clicking.....
    george ann, derek, chad and ryne nolan

    ReplyDelete
  2. George Ann,

    We do have to worry about infection et al, but as long as Johnny's labs are OK, they won't freak out too much. We get labs drawn before each chemo treatment and they let us know where things stand. Did they do that for Ryne?

    I'm just about in freak out mode right now with the gaping hole in his chest -- OK, gaping may be stretching it a bit, but still I worry. Too close to the heart, ya know?

    Thanks for clicking and praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear all is boring today:)


    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Johnny gets further into his chemo routine, he will not bounce back as quickly. When I had chemo, I was not supposed to be around crowds 72 after chemo. That was when me blood counts were at their lowest, and I was more suseptible (sp?) to catching something from others.

    Also, my nausea med made me tired. I did not have to take it too often. Someone told me that the nausea med was something that I could take to help me sleep. Not sure if Johnny is taking the same med, it was Prochlorperazine 10 mg, it is he generic equivalent of Compazine.

    I am so glad to hear that things are getting back to boring. I love a boring life. I hope your family has many more boring days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry - I forgot a word in the previous post. I was not supposed to be around crowds 72 HOURS after chemo.

    Still praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cancer will teach you to appreciate normal, boring, and the little things. One of my favorite memories was driving in the car the night of my lumpectomy during an amazing lightning storm--we were driving to Andrew's game in Illinois and I was reading The Kite Runner, while Josh was snuggled in a blanket watching a movie in the car. Jim was just listening to the radio on low. I was facing Stage III cancer but couldn't have been happier. Too odd to describe but I know you understand now.

    Ok, I admit, I was a little stoned from pain meds but it is STILL a favorite memory!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam,
    Very happy to hear that it was boring and normal at home today! Those are, by far, the best kind ever! As often as I read the blog to check on each of you, I will bring you millions all on my own!

    Still praying, and now clicking...

    Juli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toad,
    Great to talk to you today. Boring days at home are really the best.
    That said, let me plant a seed for when we both get to feeling a little better. Giant Trevally fishing off the coast of Fiji. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Normal is good...right?!! Thanks for the bday wishes, we had a great time up North. By the way my Bday wish went out to you and Johnny, and if I were Oprah, I would have the Young Americans at your door step tomorrow! Enjoy the boring!
    Cherie S

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs. Toad-
    Thanks for answering my question - I trust you'll let us all know when/if the coast is no longer clear for drop-ins etc.
    As for Ryne, we mostly had to just keep him in the bubble the whole time. It wasn't too hard because for a lot of the time we were in-patient anyways then when it finally got nicer, he was feeling a bit better and would play outside on the front porch or our neighbors front porch with a mask on (not the MJ's kids kind of feathery MardiGras mask, a super heavy duty suitable for surgery or chemo-kids type blue mask). And yeah, they drew bloods like every day and then always before a new round to make sure he was healthy enough for them to kick the snot out of him with chemicals again.....sigh.
    love you all-
    george ann, derek, chad and ryne nolan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Pam,

    I thought you would like to know that Ms. Nurse Terri has a Dr. friend here named Ansari. She asked him if he was related to your Dr. Ansari and he said no but that he knows your Dr. and is friends with him and he is a great Dr. Figured it never hurts to hear more positive about the Dr who is leading the fight :)

    Love Bry and Terri!

    ReplyDelete