Monday, July 20, 2009

Game On!

WOOT!

I have to tell you, the last 24 hours sucked big time. Johnny and I were both scared to death that a giant piano was going to fall on our heads and we were going to find out more bad news from the PET/MRI scan. Without futher ado, here is what we found out:

There is nothing new to report. What we knew before is what we are dealing with -- Colon cancer with metastatic liver disease. OK, diagnosis still stinks, but there is nothing hiding out in his lungs or other organs.

The liver lesion is 3.5 cm x 3.0 cm. Exactly what we knew before. The other "multiple" smaller lesions barely enhanced on the MRI which means they are "immature" and will probably disappear with chemo. The lesion itself is straddling the two lobes, which makes surgery a little more tricky. Dr. Ansari told us that he will send us somewhere else for surgery. No one in South Bend fits his/our criteria.

While talking with Dr. Ansari (and finally breathing again) he answered almost every single question that I had written down before I even asked him. He would say, "Now you are wondering why we won't do a liver biopsy, and I will tell you." So then I would cross that question off my list. The only question I ended up asking was, "Is the chemo toxic to other organs?" To which he replied, "Well, the liver, but that is the point, right?" Touche.

I was concerned about cure vs. "buying time". He said, "Our goal is always remission." Remission can last forever, but an oncologist is never going to use the word "cure". Which makes sense to me.

We asked about a second opinion and whether MD Anderson was our best option or if there was someplace else we should consider. He said our concern for a second opinion should only be for the liver surgery. We actually felt confident with this and we will see how things go with the first several round of chemo and the rescans.

Every single lab value was normal. Including the liver enzymes. How crazy is that?

On to chemotherapy. We start tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. The infusions will run for 5 hours while we are there, and then one last infusion will come home with us on a pump for 46 hours. The first time Johnny will have to go back to have it removed and they will train us to do it for the subsequent infusions. I'm pretty sure I can handle that. Infusions are only once every two weeks.

As far as side effects, the only ones that they are concerned about seem to be fevers/chills, nose bleeds, and this bizzare cold sensitivity that makes you feel like you are being shocked if you touch something cold. Also, drinking cold things can make you feel like your throat is closing, so they tell you to just drink lukewarm beverages for 72 hours post infusion.

The day of infusion and the day after should be pretty good because of the medications they give during treatment. They warned us that 72-96 hours after treatment may be the "bad" days. We hope for the best with this, but can't wear our rose-colored glasses all the time. Obviously he is going to get sick. We will just minimize his symptoms where ever and when ever we can.

Ahhhhhhhh. I feel so much better today.

Again, thanks to EVERYONE for the continued prayers, wine, food, cards and visits. I told Johnny yesterday after a steady stream of visitors throughout the day that it has actually been "fun" (yeah, relative term) to see all the friends that we have over the last 10 days. I would encourage everyone to visit or call an old friend just to say "hi". We have loved every single conversation, especially when it didn't revolve around the "C" word.

This is my Johnny story for this post: Today we were driving to the appointment and I was trying VERY hard to pull it together and keep it together, but it wasn't working very well. What do you suppose passed us by as we were driving? A funeral procession about 2 miles long. Johnny started laughing. I said, "That isn't very funny." He said, "Now I know I'm gonna be OK because God and I have the same sense of humor." Then at the doctor's office I asked him where his "lucky" hat was. He said, "I don't need it. God told me to save it for hunting and fishing. He's got my back on this one." He got pretty emotional when he told me that, so I know he and God had a good long conversation last night. I'm glad they talked.

So, GAME ON, Cancer! God's got Johnny's back, and I've got everything else (along with my army of friends/family).

Your job is to keep praying. I hope you can handle that because we aren't going to cut you any slack. We all have jobs and they are all important.

Now I just feel like I'm rambling, so I guess I'll quit for now. Love to everyone.

9 comments:

  1. We just got home from Riley and raced in to the laptop to check on you all...what FANTASTIC news!!!! I had a gut feeling that it would be okay. I prayed this morning most of the way to Indy, and prayed while I was in the shower before we left and prayed right after Ry's blood draw because I figured you would be in Dr. Ansari's office about then. I'm sooooo relieved to hear that there were NO WHAMMIES!!! Seriously, you need another whammie about like a hole in the head dontcha think?
    We're heading over to Dad's for a celebratory beer on the observation deck (celebrating our sucessful clinic,scans,tests day at Riley with our cancer survivor, Ryne and celebrating cancer warrior and newest team member of cancer ass kickers united, Johnny).

    STUPID CANCER!
    we love you much-
    george ann, derek, chad and ryne nolan

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAHOO! (ok, as much as anyone can Wahoo over cancer) I am so glad you got some answers and a plan today. I am also so glad you post--but will give John B credit as his got the story straight when I spoke to him. Shrink tumor, then surgery, correct? Ginger mentioned John Hopkins? I did just read that they were listed as the number one hospital...: ) But I am sure you will have it all scoped out when the time comes.

    Sigh. Just glad things are in motion now. I think Johnny is going to do well...like I said, mom hit her wall about 2 months out...but she was armed with anti-nausea meds from the start that really helped. She definitely noticed the cold sensitivity, but not to the point where she had to wear gloves to get things out of the freezer or anything. Hell, I am sure she just barked orders at my dad anyway. : ) The rest of the regimen sounds very similar to my moms. She loved her time off that was for sure...but just think what that mean medicine is doing to that cancer! (my mom's attitude is when she was sick, she felt it was working) Whatever works!

    ANYTHING you need please let us know.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, like I said on Facebook... I just froze at the mall, I'd already said my daily prayers, but @ 2:30, I was to say another, it was 2:40 something....Emily said I was too late, but we know that isnt the case, now dont we...

    So much of what you are going through brings back what my Dad went through, but Im sure you already know all about that!

    "Keep the lucky hat for hunting and fishing"
    I read it, it brought tears to my eyes, I read to Emily, and could hardly make it through it, I still can hardly type it, YET it makes me smile....WE come from a long line of hunters and fishers, that have been friends FOREVER...the LUCK will actually be needed, ANOTHER DAY...

    Ok now for my quote (This ones for the loving Pam):
    "To achieve true happiness in life, a man must get lucky twice. First, he must own a great bird dog, to preoccupy his mind and satisfy his days. Second, he must find a great woman, to preoccupy his heart and fulfill his nights." Author, Jim Slinsky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said my prayers starting at 2:15. Then I cried all the way through this post. I will keep praying. You are great people. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do, anytime, anywhere.... Love you guys!
    Damnit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny and Pam - I am Devon Floor's mom. She goes to school with Quinn. I want you to know that you are on the Prayer Chain at Hope Community Church. I was on the Prayer Chain during my bout with the Big C. I could feel the power of prayer, and I know you will too.

    Chemotherapy is scary, at first. I had 6 sessions. The people at Dr. Ansari's office are awesome. I thought that I did not want to talk to anyone during the chemo, but I actually enjoyed talking with the other people who were receiving chemo. Whenever I felt a little sorry for myself, God put someone who's situation was much worse than mine. I recommend taking a laptop so you can play games or listen to music.

    I know that you have a ton of people praying for you and that you have a great support group. It is humbling to know how many people care about you and love you.

    Stay strong and positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johnny and Pam,
    All I can say is, Praise God! I will continue every day to pray for all of you and the doctors that you will encounter. Tears filled my eyes as I read your post, imagine that! But Pam, I can't tell you how happy I was to hear the results of the day from you. I think everyone in Niles felt the same way! Stay Strong! Love, Juli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johnny Brawley is an amazing man! Courage is his middle name.

    That is what I am sayin'.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Johnny
    I just heard that you have colon cancer. I want you to know that I am a survior of colon cancer - 12.5 years. I had Stage 3 cancer with lymph nodes involved. 12 lymph nodes and 18" of my colon were removed. I had chemo for 6 months. It takes courage, prayers and positive thinking to survive. I am a friend of your mom and dad's. I used to play cards with your mom. I just want you to know that I am thinking about you and that you and your family are in my prayers.

    Mutt Jones

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just returned from a camping trip and I had a message on the answering machine from your MIL (Ginger), giving the news about Johnny. I'm glad you had a great time at the concert, even if you didn't get dinner! I'm very optimistic about Johnny, and you are a great support system for him. I'll keep praying for all the Johnny Brawley family. Tell Pooh to call if he wants a tour guide. I'm looking forward to the liquid refreshment! Love, Donna

    ReplyDelete