Saturday, July 25, 2009

Monster Wrestling

Nightmares plagued Johnny last night. Very strange, indeed. At one point I woke up with absolutely no sheet or blanket covering me. I reached to the end of the bed where they would normally be kicked to, but nothing was there. Johnny was stirring a little so I said, "I don't have any covers." He shouted, "I CAN'T HELP YOU!" And then promptly laid back down and went to sleep.

Well, ok then.

So I looked over on his side of the bed and saw all of the blankets in a heap. Evidently he had been wrestling dangerous monsters and was holding them hostage on his side of the bed. For a minute I contemplated crawling into the bed I had made myself on the floor when Johnny was struggling Wednesday night, but I decided to just grab the top sheet from his monster pile and hope that I didn't let one escape.

We both woke up a little after 7:00 this morning and I asked him what happened last night. "Geez, I was fighting monsters all night." Poor baby, maybe the monsters were the cancers letting him know that they are pissed off that he is trying to eliminate them. I was happy that he was victorious in his dream. Maybe that is the omen we are looking for.

He doesn't remember yelling at me. I have to admit, it made me giggle because he was so incredibly serious when he said it. Kinda like he was fighting monsters and I came along asking for help with the blankets or something.

I got up and made pancakes for breakfast. It was what sounded good to Johnny, so we went for it. He did manage to eat two, then headed back to bed. After a while he got up, took a bath and got dressed in real clothes!

He wanted to try to go out. I wasn't sure what exactly he wanted to do, so I said, "You want to go get some new shoes?" Because I know how happy new shoes (or a purse or luxury bath products) make me feel. "Sure."

He got in the car feeling pretty decent. We headed to Dick's Sporting Goods and got as far as Target and I noticed his color going downhill fast. "Do you still want to go?" "Yep, I'll try it."

We did manage to make it in the store, buy shoes in record time and get back in the car. Success. Seriously, I think we were in the store 11 minutes. On the way home we didn't fair so well. I had to pull over for him, and then was kicking myself for not thinking of giving him his nausea meds before we left the house. That was pretty stupid of me, I know. I also had nothing in the car for after -- you know like a kleenex, paper towel, napkin -- nothing. Shizzle.

OK, I'll chalk that one up to experience. Note to self: Take nausea meds before leaving, keep paper towels in the car, follow your gut -- if he looks bad, he feels bad. Turn around and just go home next time. Duh. I promise I will get better and this care-taking business. This is all new to me, kinda like when you bring your baby home from the hospital and you really have no clue but feel like you should since they trusted you to bring him home and all.

Now that we are back home, I've loaded him up with drugs again and he is sleeping in bed. I know he wanted to try getting out, but I think it was a little too soon.

I hope he gets more rest while napping. Monster wrestling makes you crazy tired.

8 comments:

  1. Ok, I have to admit I am giggling at the type of ads that are on your blog right now. All about sleeping for your baby and then the last one is "sleep sex." I clicked on each one once and will continue to do so. There is some correlation to how many times people upload your page, but clicking brings in the bucks. You get the check after you earn $100. I have had two checks but started mine almost a year after my diagnosis so I predict you will start much sooner. I imagine that your page is read at least 200 times a day...it is so helpful to us to know how he is feeling and how you are feeling. And remember, keep this as a log of sorts so you can remember things like nausea meds and paper towels!

    Good for Johnny for trying. Even I am too tired to go to Relay tonight and all I did was sit through two baseball games--which Andrew lost miserably. Baseball is done for us now until Goshen! (and yes, there is some happiness in my tone!)

    Ok, all of you reading this CLICK on Mimi's ads! It works!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will click away. Pam thanks for sharing the "kick cancer's ass journey" with us. Got back in town Friday night after golfing up at Boyne for a week with Aunt Barb and her ladies, and sat down to read your blogs. I had talked to several people through out the week who told me that chemo had started but to actually sit down and read the weeks blogs was something that words can't even describe. Had to stop once because I was crying so hard. Johnny I know that saying that I am sorry for what you are facing doesn't change the fact that you feel like shit, but I am sorry. Keep fighting, the good guys always come out on top.

    I want to make you guys my almost famous Chicken Enchiladas and Ho Ho Cake for Tuesday. Pam give the the OK and I will have it at your house Tuesday at 5:00.

    God bless and we are clicking and praying
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mimi, you have to have the chicken enchiladas and hoho cake! They ARE Famous!~~

    I came back to click. I have a click addiction.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheryl,

    I have no idea what Ho Ho Cake is, but have been known to down an entire box of Ho Hos on the way home from the store before. If you can make a cake out of that, then I would never be the one to stop you. Chicken enchiladas sound marvey, too! Tuesday is good! Thanks so much for thinking of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Click, pray, repeat. Got it!
    We love you guys. Pam, you gotta put together a gag bag....it just stays in whatever car you go in and it should have a roll of paper towels and a bottle of water and some gallon ziploc bags (no one has to rinse out a barf bucket and they travel in relatively small space) if the ziplocs are needed, you just zip em shut afterward and waaa-laaa...done and done! Then if you are us, you also have some tan Martins bags along so that no one has to look at what is actually in the ziploc. You are gonna learn amazing things that you NEVER wanted to know.
    okay, love to you all...gotta go and click!
    george ann, derek, chad and ryne nolan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by to click and tell we are thinking about you guys! Maybe you should spray your special monster spray for Johnny;) It worked like a charm for Kylie~~~wow that seems like forever ago!! I hope he feels better soon.
    Since I am a l&d nurse I am thinking of it like this...when a pregnant person has morning sickness we say it must be a good strong pregnancy...so Johnny not feel well means his body is wrecking havoc on the cancer and the chemo is doing it's job.
    Good night sleep tight~~~I hope you guys have a restful night:)

    April

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy the Ho Ho cake, it's the best!!! Love the chicken enchiladas. We will click away. Love you guys, keep fighting.
    Roger, Shea, Landon & Karli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi--next time you are on, call me and we will check your balance and then I will click some more to see how much each click counts. Yes, I am greedy for you. I never could figure it out for me, but it seems like I went up like $10 for every 100 clicks but I could be way wrong. At one time, I thought the clicks were worth a $1 a piece so I have no clue at this point.

    Yes, I am greedy. : )

    Molly

    ReplyDelete