Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Icky

It was silly to think that Johnny would be able to go through this whole cancer thing without so much as a sick day. It was silly, but I still hoped for it. I was wrong.

He has been asleep/sleepy most of the day. The nausea started pretty early so he took some meds to help (Compazine/Ativan) but by this evening it became perfectly clear that Johnny is a cancer patient on chemotherapy. It made me so sad.

I am trying really hard to not be a wuss, but as the evening wears on I find it more difficult. I know Johnny is worried about me and it makes me mad (at myself) when I am teary in front of him. I try to keep in mind the words of a very good friend, "Suck it up, this isn't about you. Be strong for him and the kids and fall apart on your own time." No seriously, sometimes I need to hear it like that. Thanks, Ulysses.

So, our house is very quiet tonight. The boys ate dinner at Angie's (thanks, sis) and I just keep rearranging magazines and trying to figure out what I can do to help. Which, evidently, is to rearrange magazines.

Please pray that the Ickies go away quickly and that Johnny can get some much needed rest tomorrow. After the pump comes out tomorrow afternoon, I know that he will be more comfortable and at least be able to get comfy in bed. It is really hard to sleep on a leash.

If there are any friends out there from Bowne reading this post, I would just like you to know that you are the most amazing people. You have no idea how comforting your gift is to us. With anything as unplanned as cancer, the future can seem pretty scary. Thank you for making it seem managable.

Matt, from the bottom of our hearts -- thank you. You and Angie are the two people that feel this the closest and your generosity is more than overwhelming. This is why Johnny wanted you guys on our team all those years ago.

"Always surround yourself with good people." -- Johnny Brawley

And when times are tough, you discover exactly how good those people can be.

5 comments:

  1. Darn. I too was hoping he would sail through. Do not hesitate to call Dr. A's nurse if it gets unbearable; even if there is nothing they can do, they might suggest SOMETHING. I was reading that Ginger, not our MIL, but the actual root or whatever it is, is supposed to help with chemo nausea.

    I hope Johnny can sleep through the worst of it and then enjoy that feeling when it is over and out of his system...and that will come!

    As my mom said, "well you know it's working." (she was always paranoid hers wasn't.) Also, on the bright side, she had another 3 month check up with her onco today and her CA-markers were great so it does work!(she was STage IIIC, and is now cancer free!!) Also, she told her onco about Johnny and his first question was "where is he being treated?" She said South Bend, and Dr. Ansari, to which he replied, "he is in fabulous hands then" as he knew of them. Always good to reaffirm, huh?

    I hope you are taking care of yourself too-you are aren't you????

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Always surround yourself with good people." -- Johnny Brawley. Good advice for everyone. Johnny surrounded himself with a wonderful wife! Stay strong, Pam, and keep blogging. You have lots of friends, family, and people you don't even know praying for Johnny, you, and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P/J, Didn't I tell you that I would take care of the crying???!!!! Pam, I really meant that I would! You stay focused on keeping my friend comfy, your sweet boys secure, and yourself positive and I will do the crying bit! Now, as far as his hose/tubing goes, tell Johnny that I sleep every night with my CPAP machine, hose, face mask, and chin straps, so he will master this! Hugs and kisses! Juli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let the Brawley clan that we
    are thinking of them everyday. Thanks for keeping us posted.
    The Millers
    Joyce,Herb,Beth,Kyle,Matt and Brad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, I have to agree with Juli. Let us worry about crying. You are a very strong woman, and I am not saying that cause you are my sister. I have lots of prayers coming from the Pediatric community. Just call if there is anything that is needed I don't care how small or big if I don't have it I will do all that I can to get it. LOVE YOU.

    Johnny, I am so proud of you for being as strong as you are. I wish that I could take this away and not have you go through it. You have no idea how much you mean to us. Please call if you need anything, like I told Pam, no matter how big or small if I have to beg, borrow or steal I will get whatever you need. LOVE YOU

    Rob, Carla and Griffin

    ReplyDelete