Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Day I Never Expected

dear friends,

This is the day that I never expected, never wanted and never prepared for, but it is here. Johnny's 43rd birthday. Colon cancer diagnosed yesterday. CT today. Liver metastasis. I can't comprehend it, yet I have to.

I can tell you that of the four of us, Johnny is the strongest followed closely by Quinn. Quinn just wants to know that we can beat this and is confident that we will. "What do we have to do?" We. All four of us together. WE can do it.

Jake is a close third place to my fourth. He thinks the "C" word means the "D" word. I can't argue the point right now. He got out of bed last night at about 1:00 a.m. and turned on the bathroom light. I got up to see who was up. Jake and I spent the next hour watching M*A*S*H re-runs and trying to get sleepy. Didn't work for either of us. I found him this morning with his old friend "Beary", a stuffed bear from when he was 5 years old, snuggly wrapped in his arms. I kissed him goodbye and told him that daddy and I were headed to the hospital for a CT scan. I saw Beary and said, "Sometimes it is nice to have a visit from an old friend, isn't it?"

I am a complete and utter mess. Johnny is the love of my life. I have loved him every single day since June 19th, 1984, when he kissed me for the first time. I never looked back. He is THE ONE for me. No doubt. I am THE ONE for him. I still get goosebumps when he kisses me. I still can't believe that he picked me for the rest of his life. And I am his.

OK, so here is where we stand: Colonoscopy on July 8th showed a 3-inch section of sigmoid colon has a tumor, probably malignant, that needs to come out. Dr. O'Dea is confident that Johnny will not need a colostomy. Scheduled a CT for today, July 9th. CT at 0830 this morning. In the mean time, Dr. Delle Donne's office (pronounced del-a-donna) calls to schedule surgery consult for Monday, July 13th, at 0830. Dr. O'Dea calls at 4:30 p.m. to tell us the results of today's CT. Not good. Multiple lesions found in the liver. Holy shit. Johnny is a little overwhelmed, Pam is inconsolable. What do we tell the kids?

We are being honest with the kids, with an all-positive spin. It is in the liver, true, but Johnny is a healthy young guy with no other medical issues to deal with. I tell the kids that we are going to KICK CANCERS ASS. They are on board with this.

My mom and dad, sisters, brothers-in-law, and Johnny's whole family are completely overwhelmed with this news. We all had a good cry together and then pulled ourselves back together. John and Ginger are heading home from the cabin on Sunday. Ginger will go with us to the surgery consult on Monday. I just may need her there. . . dontcha think? On Molly's blog, she refers to John and Ginger as FIL and MIL (or crazy MIL) for Father-in-law and Mother-in-law. I am thankful for each member of this crazy family.

Also, thank God for friends. After the horrible news from this afternoon, Shelly and Laurie (my Diamond Girls) show up at the end of my driveway and call my cell phone. "We are at the end of your driveway, can we come in?" Of course. Just what I needed, too. After two bottles of wine (consumed by me, Angie, and well, mostly me) I have gone two full hours without crying and feel stronger. After everyone leaves, the boys (Quinner and Jakey) and I are left by the fire on the deck. I ask them what they are thinking. Quinn has a tummy ache. Jake says we can do it. I agree with them both.

Tomorrow I seek Hope from the oncologist. He better give it to me, or I will wrestle him to the floor.

Right now, just pray. For my Johnny.

10 comments:

  1. Praying that the news you receive tomorrow is good. One day at a time....kick cancers ass one day at a time. Sending love and strength to you all.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny and Pam,
    Praying for you like I said I would! Build your strength from your friends and family...we all love you!
    Juli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam,
    I'm adding you all to our church's prayer chain here in NW Indiana and I've let the Shaffer crew (in Niles) know as well and they will add you to theirs too.

    You WILL make it through this. Pray and take things one day at a time. The Brawley family is full of pi$$ and vinegar - and has plenty of fight - even when you don't feel like you do - it's there.

    You lovin' Johnny like you do is fantastic medicine. Hang in there and continue to pray. We will be too.

    ~Tina (VanGundy) Morales

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam,

    I don't know you & Johnny that well these days, other than to say 'hi' in passing. Knew you both better when we were in high school, when I was in Chris & Jim's class with you & Johnny the grade ahead of us. I do know that, you, Johnny & I all went on the infamous Crouch's Canada canoe trip together and, even way back then, the strong love & bond between you & Johnny was very evident. I can imagine that that love & bond has only become stronger over the years.

    I just wanted you to know that you and your family will be in my thoughts & prayers each and every day.

    Hold your head up high, think positively, and hang in there!

    Kathy (Meyer) Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi--

    We love you very much and will be there with you guys every step of the way. I have not yet told Jim the news about the liver--I will let him sleep for now. The brothers are going to go over the deep end for a bit I think.

    Lots of things they can do for the liver too, I promise. By the way, there is a really good support group on Yahoo that I joined when my mom was diagnosed. Colon cancer something something...you can ask all kinds of ridiculous questions and nobody cares as they have all been there.

    I am in tears right now because I think I know how scared you are...I do have lots of extra Xanax ... don't be afraid to get some from your doc if you need it. I just use it to sleep nowadays but am thinking a drug induced state might be good for today! : )

    I can't tell you how much we are hurting for you but know that deep down, we got lots of fightin' in us too.

    Love you much--

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam,

    I remember when my mom told me last year that she had breast cancer and I remember feeling the same way. I had to try to be strong for my mom, and it wasn't easy. The nights of endless tears... Remember that you have a circle of friends and family that are always here for you.

    You are one of the toughest people I know. You will get through this and Johnny will too.

    Your family is in all of your thoughts and prayers right now. Johnny has touched so many lives at the ballpark and the whole park is rooting for him now.

    Let us know if you need ANYTHING!!!!

    Sara Grishaber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam and Johnny,

    Ever since we heard the news I have not been able to get you all off my mind. The Brawleys are strong people and Johnny WILL beat this!!! I know it won't be easy, but you'll come out a stronger, closer family in the end. We will keep your entire family in our thoughts and prayers. If there is anything we can do just give us a jingle (or stop by).

    Love,

    The Rudlaffs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunned and hurting for all of you. Our prayers are strong and with you.
    Love,
    The Gaideski's

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok guys! The Montgomery's are all about Kickin' the Cancers Ass! You guys are tough and united. You can do this. We are praying for your entire family. Stay strong as you can and remember that love is the biggest healer of all.

    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You WILL fight this!! You have all of your family and friends right beside you..May GOD watch over you and bless you all. You are in all of our thoughts and prayers.

    The Brentlingers

    ReplyDelete