Saturday, August 29, 2009

Prepping, Packing and Planning

OK, OK, I hear you! It has been 4 days since I last posted, and boy oh boy, you guys let me know!

Like they say, "No news is good news." Right? Right! (Who is "they"? "They" do a lot of talking and get quoted often.)

So, did you all see the article in the Niles Daily Star? Jessica Sieff interviewed Johnny and me this week and put together a very nice article, if I can be so bold as to say that. . . sure I can. If you would like to check it out, go HERE. (Jessica, it was so nice to meet you! Thanks for the great article!)

Once again we come to the weekend before chemo. I spend a good part of the weekend "prepping". I like to have our room really clean: clean sheets, clean blankets, clean pillows, clean bathroom. . . you know, clean. They way I look at it is Johnny will have to spend the next few days in there and it should be as nice as possible for him. I don't want him to have to trip over a pile of dirty clothes if he has to make a quick trip to the little boys room. I also like to have the rest of the house "in order" so that it doesn't drive me nuts while I putter around worrying about Johnny. Most of all, I think I do it so that I don't sit here and mope/dwell on upcoming chemo.

I can't believe this is only the fourth treatment. I told Johnny the other night that I feel like we have been doing this a lot longer than just 6 weeks. It became our new "normal" so quickly. Will that make the next 8 cycles go quickly or more slowly? I have no idea.

Johnny was able to go to all of the football practices this past week. I know he enjoys coaching, and I am so happy that this is even possible for him. What I find funny is that the Brawley Boys (Johnny, Jimmy and Danny -- but not Pooh) are all football coaches for the Niles program. Johnny coaches 7th grade, Jimmy coaches 9th grade, and Danny is the Grand Poobah -- the Varsity Coach. The only problem is: None of them have boys playing football this year. It just goes to show you that they do what they love and love what they do. And, they want the same for their kids. Johnny would never "make" our boys play a sport that they didn't want to play, and this just proves it. Quinn is so completely in to hunting, that football just doesn't fit into his schedule. Jake is a soccer player and is currently involved with two teams. I spend most of my time running around trying to catch up with everyone after work. (Johnny did tell me that I don't have to come to his games to watch him coach, if I don't want to.)

When Johnny used to umpire at Howard Township before we had kids, I would drive out to Pepper Martin Park and watch him. One time a mom in the bleachers asked who I was there to watch, which kid was mine.

"I'm here to watch the ump," was my reply.
"Why?" was hers.
"I think he is so hot," I told her.
"You know he is married, don't you?"
"Maybe he fools around." :O}
"Oh, I don't think so. He is too nice for that."

Finally I fessed up and told her I was the wife. I also thanked her for thinking that Johnny was nice. Comments like that make a girl feel pretty good about her guy.

We are looking forward to camping next weekend. We have been camping over Labor Day weekend for the past 10 years or so. I think we have only missed one time, due to a trip to the Florida Keys. There are between 10-15 families from Niles that go to Twin Mills, and the group morphs from year to year. Quinn and Jake look forward to this trip all year long.

At risk of sounding like a broken record, the schedule of events for Johnny are rapidly approaching. Please mark your calendars and save the dates!

Thursday, September 24: Escanaba in Da Moonlight at the Bristol Opera House. Doors open at 7, production begins at 7:30. Johnny and I are looking forward to spending an evening with 190 or so of our friends. This production is absolutely hilarious. Please join us! Please email me (toad4mimi@aol.com) with the number of tickets you would like and the amount you would like to donate per ticket. Congratulations to AJ and Kelly Gaideski for being the first to request tickets!

Saturday, October 10: The Fighting Toad Golf Outing, Hampshire Country Club, Dowagiac, Michigan. 9:30 shot gun start. This outing is going to be amazing. You won't believe the prizes that are available including cars and trips! We are gathering up registrations now and we look forward to seeing everyone there, as well.

Friday, October 16: The Brawley Family Fish Fry. This is the perennial favorite! John and all of his friends have been very busy fishing their way through the summer to provide for this fish fry (and many others!) Thanks, Barry and Danette, for all the fish you have been providing as well!

Johnny and I consider ourselves the luckiest people to be surrounded by so many that not only want to help, but have taken on such large tasks in order to allow others to help as well. This is very humbling and we want to thank you all for what you have done for us. We may never be able to pay you all back, but please know that our goal is to continue to pay it forward.


2 comments:

  1. Welll I guess that I am being biased but when you two are the niceset and most giving people that I know it is not hard for a community to get behind you. We all love you very much and can't wait to see the play and golf and eat fish. LOVE YOU LOTS

    Rob,Carla and Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam--what day are you guys going to Twin Mills to like actually stay? I am trying to decide if we should wait until Friday afternoon to take the trailer or get it down there so I can spend the night Thursday night. I don't want to be down there alone, by myself, with no friends,in the woods, scared, hungry, etc....

    Molly

    ReplyDelete