Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Crap-o-la

Addendum:

We can't do anything until tomorrow. Johnny will see Dr. Delle Donne at 8:30 and he will let us know what the deal is. I know it is infected, I just want to know how we are going to deal with it.

I'll tell you how I want to deal with it: I want Dr. DD to prep and drape the incision in the usual sterile fashion. Next, open the incision, swab and send aerobic and anaerobic cultures to the lab, debride and clean it out, irrigate it with a couple grams of Ancef, trim the edges of the incision and resuture it back together with some nice tight stitches - preferably some 3-0 and 4-0 Vicryl in running stitches. Then I'd like him to use a little Benzoin over the incision, steri-strip over that and apply a nice sterile dressing with a non-adherent dressing, such as Telfa. He should also send us home with a high-dose antibiotic prescription such as Ciprofloxacin 500 mg PO q 12 hours. But, you know, however he wants to handle it is fine. Really.

Also, thank you Lake Family for providing us with dinner this evening. Emily, sorry I wasn't here when you stopped by. We really enjoyed the veggie soup and the biscuits were super. We are saving the pie a la mode for snack time. And I love the flowers! Thanks so very much.

Pray like the dickens, people. This infection scare has me in a real tizzy.


Initial Post:

It looks like Johnny's port incision is infected. We are trying to get him in to the doctor's office right now. I'll post more later, but if you don't mind . . . pray like crazy for the infection fighters to do their job. This is making me sick to my stomach. And I'm not even the one on chemo.

1 comment:

  1. Well, FRICK! Nothing is easy, I am telling you. Remember that stupid rash I had two days before surgery and couldn't get in to see a doctor???? But, it was all okay in the end and you will be too.

    I am sure it is very hard for his body to fight infection right now...but, they do have antibiotics for these things, right??? That is just plain sucky.

    Let us know when you get home if you are up to it.

    M

    ReplyDelete