Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Can I Get a WOOT WOOT!

I love Rafat Ansari.


I am seriously contemplating having that prominently tattooed on my body.


Talking with him makes me feel like things are going to be just fine. I love that about him. Obviously things went very well with Johnny's doctor appointment today, or I wouldn't even consider an "I heart Rafat" tattoo.

Our first concern was the PET scan. Dr. Ansari explained that having three different radiologist reading each scan was the problem. Imagine three people standing in front of a Picasso painting. Each will see something and explain the painting completely different than the other. Same deal here. He feels that the lesions were all on the last scan, but that they appear to be more like scars from healed lesions so they weren't mentioned last time. This time the radiologist felt like it was comment-worthy, thus six lesions versus two lesions.

The MRI report was more accurate with lesion measurements and locations and goes along with what was reported on the previous MRIs. Dr. Ansari felt that this was a much more accurate description of what is actually going on in Johnny's liver.


Dr. Ansari was really pleased with the results from the colonoscopy as well. Even though there is only a small ulcer left, he said that without a doubt it has to come out. We figured as much and it actually makes us feel better to know that it is going to be removed. We still don't know what this means in relation to a temporary/permanent colostomy. I think it drastically improves our chances for avoiding a colostomy altogether.


As far as the lesions in the liver and how they will be handled is up to the surgeon in Indianapolis. Dr. Ansari believes that he will remove the biggest two lesions and possibly some of the other ones that appear to be scars. At the very least he will take tissue samples from the small lesions that will be checked by a pathologist while Johnny is still in surgery. Minimally, they will do radiofrequency ablation (basically burn them) on the small scar-like lesions just to make sure they don't decide to grow up to be big lesions.


Now we move on to the next step which is our visit to Indy next Tuesday. Hopefully, Dr. House will be as great as Dr. Ansari and when we leave his office we will be completely confident with the plan. I already feel pretty good about it, to tell you the truth.


Johnny and I talked a lot about the surgery. He just wants to hear Dr. House say that it is an operation that he can perform. He still feels like it is up in the air whether or not Dr. House will accept the challenge. I'm relatively confident that he is going to rub his hands together while salivating over the opportunity to get at Johnny's liver. I am also concerned about the operation itself and all the things that can go on during a surgery (this is another one of those situation where a little knowledge goes a long way). Johnny is more concerned about the recovery. Dr. Ansari said that it will be about 2-3 months before Johnny will be up and around on his own. I know that open abdominal surgeries are a tough recovery, but I think Johnny being young and in relatively good shape is to his advantage. Again, this is where that butt-smokin' hot thing with healing comes in to play.


Until next Tuesday I will be praying my socks off that Dr. House not only feels like this surgery is do-able, but is anxious to accept the challenge and can get the surgery scheduled as soon as possible. We are hoping within a week of the office visit that we will be able to get on the surgery schedule. I will definitely make sure that it is his first surgery of the day, on a day when Dr. House hasn't been on call the night before, that he hasn't had a recent fight with his wife, and that he has a nutritionally complete hot breakfast. I'll even provide the breakfast.

I'll just need you guys to continue providing the prayers.

5 comments:

  1. Great~got to love that Dr. Troy bounced back pretty quick after his lymphnode dissection at Indy. His incision went basically from his sernum down around his navel to a couple inches above his pubic bone. I don't know if Johnny gets sick with anesthesia easily but Troy does and that was the worse part after surgery. Make sure they give him LOTS of antiemetics and stay on top of that. Troy had surgery on a friday and did well for the car ride home on tuesday. Again drug him up:) There is a very nice hotel hooked to IUPUI...it is pricey but I thought it was worth it. The rooms at IUPUI are not very visitor friendly. Just a straight back chair at the bedside. I think if I remember right Troy was off work for about 6 weeks, but did very well with the recovery:) I will pray for good news for you guys. Love ya!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will always pray for you and Johnny and the boys. Griffin needs his Mimi, Uncle Johnny and Quinn and his Jakejake. love you bunches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot Woot Woot!!!!!
    The Amazing (to say nothing of butt smokin' hot) Toad is gonna rock this surgery!!! Okay, let's talk about Dr. House...when my Mom (aunt Judy to you) had her aucustic neuroma...we were advised to go straight to Indy and her Dr. was Dr. Jerry House...now, he is a neuro-otorhynolarinologist, so I don't suspect it is the same guy...but her Dr. House was brilliant and outside of Dr. Holly and the rest of our Riley Onc.'s, he will remain a hero to me forever for saving my Mom. Bottom line, his confidence and experience level was a complete relief to all of us and I am SURE you will feel the same way on Tuesday. Dr. House gave me his home phone number when I jokingly (sorta) gave him a lecture about being in bed by 9 the night before her 9 hour surgery and said if I was nervous, I could call him to make sure he was home. I didn't need to call him that night but I did use it once we got her home and I was nervous about a fever that she spiked. I did, however, have to be very assertive with the scheduling staff to get in as quickly as we did (the next week)..I would not take no for an answer and you shouldn't either, I had to explain in detail what an emotional mess we all were knowing that there was a tumor so large that it was pushing her brain stem just lurking and that none of us could take the agony of the unknown...least of all my beautiful Mom! I finally got a sympathetic scheduler and got my way....persistence pays! If being nice doesn't get it, be not so nice. If you can't be not so nice or you need help persuading them, call me...better yet call Crazy MIL...I can tell you first hand, there is not a patient advocate on this Earth that can hold a candle to a Mom trying to protect her son.

    We are praying and cheering you on and praying and praying and praying.

    and praying

    we love you all-
    Georgeann, Derek, Chad and Ryne Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I am willing to pay for that tattoo, should you decide to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you today and praying for all good things.....
    love from all of us-
    Georgeann and the boys

    ReplyDelete