Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wednesday at the Brawley's

Still quiet on the Brawley Front. Although Johnny wouldn't describe this round as "awful", it hasn't been the best, either. Yesterday was actually better than today, so we don't know if Wednesday will now start being the yucky day or if this is just a fluke.

Johnny had to go in to the infusion center today to have a special lab drawn while he was still on the 5-FU pump so that Dr. Ansari can determine whether or not he will increase the dosage at his next cycle. The trip in the car was a doozy for Johnny. He felt pretty good until they had to leave and once they got moving in the car, it just didn't agree with him. I happen to think it was probably MIL's driving, but who knows. . . Since then he has been pretty much wiped out for the remainder of the day. Still sleeping right now, and will for the rest of the night.

Even though he was queasy, he still managed to eat all three meals today and drink some fluids. Getting fluids down is always the hardest part for Johnny since he can't have anything cold. Imagine that, if you will. You are thirsty -- really thirsty -- and you absolutely cannot have anything cold to drink. It isn't fun because NOTHING satisfies a thirst warm, believe it or not. He is still sticking to warm lemon-lime Gatorade and warm red Kool-aid, and the occasional warm glass of water. He doesn't like the taste of coffee during chemo week (salty) and I even tried tea last night to no avail. Any suggestions on something we should try lukewarm that may satisfy his thirst? We are open to suggestions!

I think he is sick of me sniffing at him because, yeah, still smells like baby. I love that!

Ginger was here all day yesterday and today, and I so appreciate her. (Don't tell me I sound like a broken record; everyone should sing the praises of their mother-in-law!!!) Today was a loooong day for her. She arrived at 7:00 when I leave to take the boys to school and go to work, and stayed until after Jake's soccer game (about 7:30) so that I could be there for him. She worked a 12-hour day and got diddly-squat for pay!

I am starting to freak out a little about the Escanaba tickets, if you want to know the truth. Well, even if you don't want to know the truth. We still have MANY seats left. I would love to get an email from everyone reading this tonight to tell me that they need tickets . . . is that possible? I know that it is tough to get away on a school night, especially with sports and such. If you can work it into your schedule, though, we would so love to see all of our friends and family there. So, as a reminder the production is by the Elkhart Civic Theatre at the Bristol Opera House (just past Elkhart) on Thursday, September 24th. Doors open at 7, play starts at 7:30. Minimum donations are $10 each. If you would like tickets, please call me at home (269-683-0604) or email me (toad4mimi@aol.com) and let me know how many tickets you would like and the amount you would like to donate. It is really that simple.

Well, I am just about out of gas for the night. The boys are in their rooms, probably asleep because they are totally quiet. I still need to run to the store for milk for the morning and then I am coming home and going to bed myself. I wish the weekend started on Thursday!

Hope you are all taking care of yourselves and washing your hands frequently. Remember to sneeze/cough into your elbow, rather than your hands and at any signs of the flu -- STAY HOME! Seriously, people, give yourself and everyone around you a break and isolate yourself for a day or two if you are sick. You are doing everyone a favor, believe me. The Swine Flu is just the flu, but it does require you to take care of yourself. And please, if you have the sniffles wait for a while before you grace our home with your presence. We love you and love your visits, but I need to protect Johnny first and myself and the boys second. I may have to start screening all visitors at the door! Don't make me do it!

Thank you for all the continued notes, cards and calls. Most of all thanks for the prayers. I know they are working. Everytime Dr. Ansari reports on alab value, I can tell that the power of prayer is really at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment