Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pride in Parenthood

The Brawley Boys had quite the eventful day today!

Quinn and Johnny, as you know, are in the U.P. bear hunting at John and Ginger's place. I just received The Call . . . Quinn shot a very nice 200 pound black bear! This is his second bear and the biggest of the two. Johnny reports that the shot was perfect and the bear went approximately 10 yards after being shot. I asked Quinn if Johnny cried when he shot the bear (as he is known to do) and he said, "I was pretty proud of him, Mom, he held it together . . . mostly." I know the feeling!

Not to brag or anything (well, OK, to brag) Quinn is an amazing shot. Very rarely do we have to spend any amount of time tracking when he shoots something. I'm really proud of him for that. And I'm glad that he is a confident hunter at such a young age. Johnny has taken Quinn into the woods hunting since Quinn was 3 years old. No kidding. Quinn has always been that "old soul" kind of kid. Even at 3 he could sit still in a hunting blind, eating his Lunchable and drinking his juice box while waiting for a big buck to come in. He has hunted deer, bear, goose, turkey, dove, rabbit . . . you name it! I can totally see him being a DNR officer or something like that when he graduates college.

Jake had a pretty spectacular day today as well. He is playing on two soccer teams right now. One is "just for fun" with his friends in the Edwardsburg fall soccer league. The other team is the middle school team (6th - 8th grades) and they had their season opener tonight. Niles came out strong and beat the Brandywine team 6-2. Jake played a good amount and showed some very nice ball handling ability. He even had an assist for one of our goals. I was really proud of him for that. He was a bit nervous about playing with the "older" kids, but mixed in with them very well. It was a great game to watch and was so much more competitive than what we are used to seeing in the Optimist and Edwardsburg recreational leagues. I'm looking forward to the next game already!

Don't you just love days when you feel overwhelming pride for your kids? Me, too.

I hope you enjoyed your family today.

1 comment:

  1. Pam I have to say as an Aunt I am also very proud of those boys. We can always count on Quinn to bring home the bacon (so to speak) or deer or bear whatever the case may be.

    Jake I am so excited that you love soccer like you do I know that Griff has a great role model in you and Big G. He can learn from the best.

    Aunt Carla

    ReplyDelete