Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mid-Range

Just like the last few cycles, Tuesday was Sleep-All-Day Day. His nausea remains under control (for the most part), so we are happy about that. He did say that this wasn't as good of a cycle as last time, but still much better than the first one. Mid-range, I'd say.

Wednesday is Remove-the-Pump Day, which is such emancipation for Johnny. He sleeps so fitfully with that thing attached, as do I. It has a little grinding sound every time it gives a morsel of medicine, which is every 45 seconds or so. It isn't loud, but you can definitely hear it. On Monday nights when Johnny is asleep, I use it as my sheep to count to try and fall asleep. Sometimes it works, but more often than not it doesn't.

He has remained pretty sleepy today, too. He has been up long enough to eat, rest on the couch for a bit and then usually heads back to bed within 30 minutes or so. We both know that the best thing for him is rest, so who cares if he has slept for 40 of the last 48 hours!

OK, how is this for a really weird side effect: You know how absolutely fabulous brand new babies smell? That "new baby" smell that just cannot be duplicated . . . not even Johnson & Johnson can bottle it, it is so good. When Johnny has his chemo treatment, he smells like a new baby. I thought it the first couple cycles, but kept it to myself. This time, I asked my mom and my sister to give him a good sniff. Seriously, he smells so good. I keep sniffing his head. Normally I don't think his bald head smells particularly inviting, but during chemo week I keep sniffing him. Especially when he is asleep and I can nuzzle right into that little spot where the neck meets the shoulder. Mmmmm - mmmm! I'd like to invite you all to give him a good sniff next time you are around him. Well, lets just make that during chemo week because the rest of the time, he just smells like regular old Johnny (which can be good/can be bad!).

We are leaving tomorrow to go camping (depending, of course, on Johnny) and will be home early Monday. We look forward to this camping trip for the whole summer! We only camp one weekend a year, and we certainly make it worth our while. It is such a great way to say good-bye to summer and hello to fall. (We are SO ready to say good-bye to summer -- you can't imagine how ready we are! ) It looks like the weather may cooperate with us, which would be the BEST THING EVER! Since we are tent campers, nice weather is especially appreciated. Thanks, God!

While we are gone, we would appreciate continued prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment