Monday, April 26, 2010

Looking for Improvements Tomorrow

Quick update tonight to get everyone praying in the right direction.

The weekend was relatively uneventful. Johnny felt good sometimes and borderline yucky at other times.

Since last Monday, he has only had one day of vomiting, and on and off diarrhea on a few other days. We consider that success.

I am contributing the success of the past week to three things:
  1. Johnny's body has finally healed properly from the surgery back in February.  That was a whopper of a surgery and I don't think the amount of time it takes to recover from a surgery of that magnitude should be discounted.  He is physically stronger now that we are about 10 weeks post-op and I think the stronger his body becomes, the better he is equipped to handle what chemo keeps throwing at him.
  2. The anti-anxiety meds that Dr. Ansari started him on a few weeks ago are definitely helping with the "anticipation nausea".  Also, I think it is improving his overall outlook in general.  He seems much more engaged over the last week when talking and being talked to.  I think he will continue to feel better as the levels of the medication peak and are maintained . . . we will know for sure next Sunday night before the next cycle.
  3. The Sancuso patch is to this protocol of chemo what the Emend was to the last one.  I think it is relatively obvious when you go from 9 days of vomiting in the last round to only 1 day this time.  There doesn't seem to be any adverse side effects from it either.  Thankfully.
Tomorrow he has a CT scan at 9:15.  I am scared to death/super excited.  Minute by minute I alternate between tears and fear of the sneaky "What Ifs" that creep in and then I think that it will all be great news and the "peppercorn" lesions will all be gone in addition to some shrinkage of the big tumors.  The problem is, I just don't know.  Not knowing is so much harder.

I have a plan for both scenarios.  If it is good news, you'll hear me no matter where you are.  If it isn't the best news, then we move forward with what we are doing and assume that the stubborn tumors just don't know when to quit.  We are prepared to find out that he hasn't been cured, we are just looking for a little improvement . . . any improvement at all would be nice. 

If you don't have anything going on at around 9:15-9:30 tomorrow, we sure would appreciate a collective prayer from everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Prayers and our love all over the place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pray,Pray,Pray, then pray again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pammie and the family Toad-

    I just announced to my "people" that we will be praying from our various locations tomorrow morning. Now, tomorrow is chapel (wednesday services at Ryne's school) so, Ryne is going to ask that the 5th graders pray as well. Say what you will, you CANNOT convince me that those little pumpkins don't have a direct line to His ear. I will be hoping to hear some sort of hooting it up coming from the general direction of downtown South Bend.
    Remember that we love you and are praying every day. Any indication of improvement, no matter how small is significant and we will all be here for you praying for the best~

    xoxoxoxoxox
    we love you-
    Georgeann, Derek, Chad and Ryne Nolan

    P.S. yesterday was Ryne's 5 year off treatment anniversary...can you believe it?
    We'll be saying the same thing for the Toad soon enough....we believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers. Please give us another update soon!

    ReplyDelete