Thursday, February 25, 2010

So Maybe He's Not a Wimp

Oh, sure. Now I just feel terrible for calling him a wimp.


Yesterday was probably the worst day Johnny Brawley has ever had. Ever.

When he woke up, he wasn’t feeling well, but just couldn’t figure out what was going to happen. Constipation vs. Firerhea. He had stomach pain up high and said his stomach felt “tight”.

Other than giving him anti-nausea meds, I didn’t know what else to do. I couldn’t give him Colace if he was going to end up with diarrhea. I couldn’t give him Imodium if he was going to end up constipated. Since this was our first time with this chemo, we just kinda had to wait and see.

That was probably a mistake.

When the diarrhea and vomiting started, it was like chasing down a runaway train. He couldn’t keep anything in, and even if he tried, medicine wasn’t going to stay in if we actually got it in. Things spiraled downhill pretty quickly.

Again, without being graphic, there were times that the potty was occupied, and he still needed the bucket. I was there to empty the bucket in the other bathroom, as quickly as possible, because he needed it almost non-stop for a while. He was so weak he could barely keep his head held up, and most of the time rested his head in a towel that he held in both hands. I tried to keep him cooled off with a cold washcloth, but I think that was more for me than him.

I finally called the MHO office (after hours) and the nurse on-call gave me a call right back. She told me to wait until he had gone 10 minutes or so without vomiting and to double up on some of his anti-nausea meds. I also started the CPT-11 Imodium protocol which basically means I have to give Imodium every two hours continuously until he has had no diarrhea for 12 hours. Let me just say, that is a lot of Imodium.

Sometime after midnight, he managed to get the anti-nausea/anti-emetic meds down and they stayed down. I think that was our turning point.

At one point I can remember thinking to myself that I was so happy he had put on 20 pounds while on the other chemo protocol, because that was already melting away before my eyes. His legs, arms, and booty look so thin already. I just prayed and prayed that it wouldn’t continue like this for the next chemo rounds. I could sense that Johnny was feeling beaten down from being so sick so soon. It was on his face, and in my heart.

As his wife, there are so many times that I feel so completely helpless. I can’t take it away, I can’t make it better, I can’t stop it from happening. I just have to concentrate on doing what I can do: keeping his cup filled, giving his meds on time, warming up his feet before bed, and telling him I love him.

No matter what I do to try to make him comfy, he always says, “Thank you.” Most of the time, that makes me cry. I usually say something like, “You don’t have to thank me.” And he always say, “Yes, I do.”

Man, I love him.

So, during the night last night, I woke him every couple hours for his Imodium pills. When he would take them, I would tell him to drink as much as he possibly could. I think he actually managed about 12 ounces through the night. I was really happy with that.


When he woke this morning (for more pills) he said he felt a lot better already. He basically stayed in bed until about 1:30, when I told him he really needed a shower. No, really. Bad. I envisioned those prison movies when they hose down the new detainees. That’s the kind of shower he needed.

We settled for one at our house. I put a step stool in the shower for him to sit on and he actually managed very nicely. He said that made a huge difference in how he felt. After he rested for a little bit, I gave him a delightful pedicure (DON’T GET ME STARTED ON NASTY FEET!) and then made him some soup for lunch. Ok, well, my dad made the soup, but I warmed it up to the exact right temperature. He ate a little and had a bit more to drink. I was satisfied and told him if he kept drinking throughout the day, I wouldn’t nag.

Basically, that was all he ate today, but he’s had almost 40 ounces of fluids. Probably not even close to re-hydrated, but we are still walking a fine line here.

He is already in bed for the night (8:30), but I will force fluids on him when I wake him for the Imodium and other meds he still has to take.

I’m hoping (and praying) that tomorrow will have a more normal rhythm to it, for his sake.

4 comments:

  1. I pray that he'll have a good night and feel better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh hunnies-
    I am sitting here with huge tears. Pammie, I know how much you love him, it is obvious in your every word, every post and every action. Also, obvious is how much Johnny loves you, he says thank you because he loves you and he knows that this is nearly impossible for you to bare as well.

    I sometimes think that I'm gonna be mad because good good people, people that I love and that are deserving of only beautiful wonderful things are suffering. Kids that have never even had a chance to grow old enough to realize what their life was like before cancer came along, men and women our age...who should be enjoying their childrens sports events and lecturing about missed curfews...instead are scheduling treatments and matching EOB's to hospital bills and dealing with neuropathy and nausea and the dreaded and well-named firerhea. I think I'm gonna be mad.........

    then I think that there is a plan, and The Supreme Planner who wants all things for us and asks for only our faith in return.....

    but then I think "well, it's just not fair....it's not fair DANGIT"....

    and then I think that there will be an answer....there is an answer and a plan and we must keep our faith.

    So I pray for Johnny and for Pammie and for the boys and for strength for all of you to make it through this awful time. I pray for strength for Ginger and Johnny's Dad and Uncle Jim and Aunt Gerry...because if they are strong, they can help you.

    And for health for your toad, for complete healing, for peace and strength.

    I know He is listening.

    love you all-
    Georgeann, Derek, Chad and Ryne Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am May Moore's sister. While I thank God May got through her colon cancer as easily as she did, my heart breaks reading what Johnny has to go through. I am throwing ALL my prayers to him and his entire family. My heart also goes out to you as his caregiver. My father-in-law passed away from ALS and we saw what it did to my mother-in-law as his main caregiver. Just know people are praying for you as much as they are praying for Johnny! Barb Otolski

    ReplyDelete