Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chicks Dig Scars

I can’t believe that it is already Wednesday. For just sitting around all day staring at Johnny, the time seems to be going by quickly.

Johnny’s big adventure for the day was walking an entire lap around the unit. At first he started out by holding on to me and Laura, the nurse, but by half way around he felt steady enough to let go and fly on his own. Since he still has the epidural in, that was no small feat.

Once he got back to the room, he decided to sit up in the chair for an hour and while he did that I gave him a little bath and loaded him up with lotion. I tried to make it “enjoyable” -- if you know what I mean -- but for some reason Johnny really wasn’t that in to it. Something about that complete abdominal incision that was a total mood killer.

By the way, I counted his staples today. FIFTY-SIX! That’s right, he has 56 staples holding his belly shut and the cute thing is, they curved the incision around his belly button! The incision itself is about 12 inches long and he has another incision on the left where the pump was placed that is about 4 inches. Seriously, chicks dig guys with scars. I told him I’m going to parade him around the beach this summer and I’ll be like, “That’s right, I’m with the dude with the totally hot belly scars!”

He has made a hobby out of his inspirometer (the breathy thingy that keeps you from getting pneumonia) and is a champion at that. He showed off for the respiratory therapist today and she only stayed 30 seconds because she said he had it down pat.

The steady parade of doctors has been very entertaining. Dr. Yancy and his associates (a couple of 2nd-year surgical residents and a 4th-year med student) have stopped in twice a day. I really like Dr. Yancey. He reiterated how well the surgery went and said that the colon was fantastic. Then of course he said, “But you know that your liver is a mess.” And we do. Again he said that if the chemo will work on the big lesions, then the little ones (“innumerable”) will just go away as well. We aren’t supposed to concentrate on the number because if it will work for one it will work for them all. I like his way of thinking.

They stayed and chatted for several minutes tonight and Ginger offered them all chocolate. I think they missed lunch and possibly dinner because they wolfed it down. I’m thinking about making them all peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for tomorrow because they might be working too many hours to actually get any meals in. They really do put in a crazy amount of hours.

The anesthesiologist (NOT Dr. Hotty-With-a-Body) stopped in to check on the epidural and PCA pump. They upped his PCA to every 10 minutes instead of every 15 minutes yesterday, but today he hasn’t needed it nearly as often. I think the epidural was the greatest idea on the planet!

I have to give MAD PROPS to the nursing staff here. We have had the most amazing care. Stephanie, Colleen, Laura, and Kat have been his only nurses so far and I’d like to haul them all home and put them to work at SJRMC. Wow. Do you know that we have not waited on a call light, or any request for more than a minute . . . if that. Each one of these girls has been great and very caring and professional. The charge nurse has stopped in on each shift as well to make sure things are going OK. Also, an administrator (Director of Nursing) stopped in to say hi and to make sure we were being accommodated appropriately. In addition to all of those people, they have a person come in to evaluate you for sleep disorders as one of their Performance Improvement Initiatives. I was totally impressed by that. She told us that so many with sleep apnea go undiagnosed because medical professionals don’t ask the correct questions. Johnny was a “low risk” for sleep apnea. Good to know.

I guess you could say that I have been very impressed with quality of care we have received.

Johnny is sleeping pretty comfortably right now, and will basically be out for the night, except for when they come in to give meds and take vitals. They have been great about lumping everything together to minimize waking him.

Tonight is my turn to stay with Johnny and Ginger’s to stay at the hotel. Neither one of us ever want to go back to the hotel, but we both realize that there is no reason for us to both exhaust ourselves. Splitting the duties just makes sense, although I always feel like the loser when it is my turn to go to the hotel.

We are hoping for another great day tomorrow. He has a nuclear medicine test at some point which will check the function of the pump (Important Test!). They are also planning on taking out the epidural and possibly his Foley catheter. He realllllly wants the Foley out! Tomorrow he will possibly start soft solids, if his belly cooperates. Then after that the big goals are a fart and a poop! If he can get that accomplished, then we could be home by Sunday. Not sure yet, but we should know more about when we are coming home by Friday.

Thanks again to everyone keeping my family fed and cared for at home (THANKS, AMY!!! J). And to my Class of ‘85 Facebook Friends -- you guys have made my time here actually enjoyable! It has been so fun to get the packages. Johnny got his package today and everything in it was so awesome. It came in a really cool blue and gold (school colors!!) gift box/wrapping. There was a great big yellow cup in the package that said, Healing is Progress and on the other side, Believe. I love that! Johnny is wearing the blue fuzzy socks right now. Thanks again, friends.

Hope everyone stayed warm with all the snow! Keep the prayers coming!

4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear things are going well. I am jealous Troy didn't get a sleep eval when he was there...lol. Also glad to hear you get to rest in a bed at night at the hospital!! Sounds like Johnny is doing great:) I love that. Troy and Johnny talked about scars and staples and all that fun stuff not too long ago. It sounds like Johnny and Troy have the same scar(i agree that belly button detour is cute) but Troy has a second incsion to the right. We will pray for the test tomorrow.

    Take care,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam & Johnny,

    You guys may or may not remember me, but we've met a few times. I got to know Johnny when Al built his garage a few years ago. I've known Al for a number of years and when he told me about what you guys are going through, I could understand. I was diagnosed with Leukemia in January of 2009. I know what it's like to have to endure chemo, endless amounts of drugs, hospital stays, and doctor appointments.

    I have continued faith that you will overcome this Johnny. I know it all seems like a lot to digest now, but it sounds like you have a wonderful support staff behind you.

    I will keep following this blog and watch your progress. If there's anything I can do, even if it's just answer questions, just let me know. Oh...and Pam - Love your writing.

    ~Jonathon Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pammy,
    You are truly amazing! I am always so inspired by your factual yet upbeat descriptions of the process you are enduring. You really need a publisher, this is a best seller for anyone facing the same challenges! The moral of the story of course, Love heals! Give Johnny our best, you are always in our prayers.
    Rick and Marsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam & Johnny-

    We are so glad to hear that Johnny is doing well. You are an Angel, Miss Pam :)

    Thank you for keeping us up to date. Dave and I check the blog at least once a day :) You guys are in our thoughts and in our prayers even more!!

    Keep up the good work Johnny! You too Pam & Ginger.

    Always in our continuous thoughts and prayers!

    With Love
    xoxoxoxo
    The Schiele's
    Melissa, Dave, Carson & Sydney - (Chole lol)

    **My mom and dad say hello and are thinking of you & praying too of course! Kristen and I keep them up to speed after we read your blog!

    ReplyDelete