Saturday, December 26, 2009

Post Christmas Laziness

We made it through the holidays! Did you?

This was probably one of the most low key Christmases we have ever had, and you know what? I kinda liked it! Obviously Johnny was feeling good enough to participate, but still tired very easily. Whenever he was ready to head home, that's what we did.

There were a few things that we had to miss out on, but we know that our friends and family understand that this year is just a little bit "different" for us. We are very confident that next year we will be able to fully participate in all of the craziness that the holidays offer.

Today was gloriously lazy. We slept in so late, I'm embarrassed to say what time we finally started to move. Quinn is snowboarding at Swiss Valley with friends and Jake has his best friend, Dylan, over to stay the night. Johnny is making jambalaya for dinner and I am just putzing on the computer.

Chemo is becoming a distant memory already . . .

Now that Johnny has completed this ordeal, we have all of the tests scheduled for "re-staging" his cancer. Here is the upcoming schedule of events:

Monday, December 28th: PET/CT scan
Tuesday, December 29th: MRI scan
Monday, January 4th: Colonoscopy
Wednesday, January 6th: Office visit with Dr. Ansari to review scans/colonoscopy
Tuesday, January 12th: Meet Dr. House at IU Med Center to plan and schedule surgery.

I'm excited to hear how well the chemo has worked, but also so very hesitant to get over confident. I would love to hear that everything is gone, or at least so insignificant that surgery will be a piece of cake. I am scared to death to find out that any of the cancer has traveled or become stubborn and has not reduced any from the previous set of scans.

I'll be so relieved again when we have the surgery plan. Again, I feel like we are in a state of limbo. When Johnny was diagnosed I felt this way to a much greater degree while we waited for our plan of attack and chemo schedule. Once the surgery is scheduled, I'll feel better. When the surgery is OVER and I have him back home to heal, I'll feel even better yet!

That's where we stand for now. Please continue to pray for Johnny's body to heal and for his lab values to recover before he has surgery. Also, we could still use some prayers for his blood pressure. That darn blood pressure!

Don't worry, if I get any word at all on the scans before our appointment with Dr. Ansari I'll let everyone know. Have I ever been able to keep this kind of stuff to myself?!!?

3 comments:

  1. Just think how far you have come to know the strength you have...and remind yourself of those decreasing CEA markers...and that surgery, although it may be tough, will be the icing on the cake. Most people say chemo is the worst part of cancer (besides worry)and if my mom is any indication, Johnny will tackle surgery very nicely I am sure. And no matter what, you will deal with it with everyone by your side, just like the chemo chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brawleys-
    Just wanted to tag in early and say good luck tomorrow with the PET/CT. I know you are anxious and I hope it helps to remember how many of us are out here praying and pulling for you!
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxox
    Georgeann, Derek, Chad and Ryne Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rooting for you, Pam - why do these things always happen to the NICE people? You are both an inspiration with your never ending faith.

    Barbie B

    ReplyDelete