Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mr. Jett

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers;
for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Hebrews 13:2


Mr. Jett is my angel. I don't even know his first name, or where he lives but I believe he is a genuine angel.

Have you ever driven past someone holding up a sign that says "Will Work For Food." It seems lately there are a lot more than ever before. I often wonder what the story is behind the person holding the sign. Family man with hungry kids at home, down on his luck because he has lost a job that he held for 15 years? Single mom that just can't make ends meet since her husband walked out leaving her alone with three kids? Oh, I can make up some really great stories in my head about these folks. Sometimes, I am ashamed to say, I think that maybe they are just lazy and not interested in finding a real job. When I think it through, though, it can't be easy to stand out on a corner for hours in the hopes of finding a couple people that may stop and help out with some cash or groceries.

On Redfield Road where Gumwood does the little jog, there is a white haired gentleman that holds his sign: Will Work For Food. God Bless You.

He usually doesn't show up until the end of the month. In my imagination it is because he has made his meager Social Security hold out as long as possible, and by the 25th or so of each month there is just nothing left. I've never bothered to ask him what the story is because it wouldn't change why I stop.

I had seen him at that location a couple times before and had never stopped. For some reason, I couldn't get him out of my head. I fantasized in my head that he was an angel and was watching to see how the world treated him. Maybe he was reporting back to the Big Guy himself. I decided if I ever saw him again, I would stop.

Several months passed and I kept wondering if he would no longer come to "his" spot. And then on a cold day, I made the left turn off Gumwood on to Redfield and there he was. He was standing there holding his sign and wearing an old winter coat and yard gloves. I'm not sure why, but my heart actually pounded in my chest.

I drove past him, making the right turn back on to Gumwood. What should I do? Instantly I thought that I should go buy him some groceries. I turned around and went to the Pay and Pack It on 933 (This was before the Martin's at Heritage Square was open) and bought $20 worth of groceries.

I took the groceries back to him and handed the bags out the window. He said, "God Bless You!" and I thought, "A-HA! You are here on a mission from God!" It was settled. He was my Angel on Redfield Road, and I vowed that I would ALWAYS take the time to stop what I was doing when I saw him and provide him with something. No matter what, if I see him standing there I automatically stop what I had set out to do and change my path to provide for him.

Believe me, there have been several times that I wanted to pretend like he wasn't there or to take another route entirely thinking that he probably WOULD be there and I just didn't have the time to stop. Not allowed.

I have had the kids with me on a number of occasions, as well. It has been a great lesson for them, as well as for myself. We have had great conversations about how people end up in that situation, how we can help, how we wish other people would not judge and just help out, too. We have also talked about how blessed we have been and that we should show our appreciation to God by helping out some of his less fortunate souls here on Earth. They know that I consider him "My Angel" and have adopted him as their own as well.

Once when I stopped, I decided I would ask his name. I rolled down my window to hand him the groceries, and said, "Hi, my name is Pam and I just wanted to bring you a few groceries. I thought maybe you could use them." He said, "Oh, I remember you. You have stopped before. My name is Jett, just like the airplane. Jay-Ee-Tee-Tee, Jett. I remember your car."

I was so happy that he actually recognized my car and knew that I had stopped before. I felt that maybe I scored some extra points upstairs since he recognized me -- silly, I know. He went on to tell me that he was alone now, his wife had been in a nursing home for a couple years and he just couldn't make it to the end of the month without a little help anymore.

That's all I know about him. I have no idea if he is crazy or pulling a fast one, and to tell you the truth: I don't care. My God and Father knows what is in my heart and that is all that matters.

Since Christmastime is fast approaching, it is a good time to reflect on how fortunate we are and to possibly help those around us. Everyone has a story, and everyone is dealing with something. Until you have walked two moons in someone else's moccasins, it isn't fair to judge them. Every unfortunate person you encounter may not be an angel you are entertaining, but hey -- You never know!

3 comments:

  1. What a great lesson - thank you so much for sharing, for being an inspiration and reminding us to do God's will each and every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, last summer you told me about that man. Although I already knew, reading it brought tears to my eyes. There are truly some needy people during this recession. God bless you and you are a great role model for your children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pammie-
    YOU are also someone's angel (maybe more than one persons). You are an angel to your Toad even when you don't know quite what to do to help...you are an angel to your boys because boys need a Mom with a young heart but a wise mind, you are an angel to your angel Mr. Jett, you were Uncle Jim's angel when he needed his head stapled, you have even been my father-in-laws angel a time or two in surgery. I wonder if you know that you were my angel...on a super cold and yucky night in January of 2005 when I was in Indy reading the CaringBridge journal entries and hoping that every entry counted for someone else praying for Ry.
    Oh, you're an angel in your own right, to be sure.
    Maybe you just didn't even know!
    I love you (I hope you knew that)
    Johnny and the boys too!
    George ann

    ReplyDelete