Monday, December 7, 2009

Number Eleven

When Johnny had his very first chemotherapy cycle I thought there was no way we were going to make it all the way through twelve. Do you remember the monster battles and sewer screaming? Me, too.

We have made it through Number Eleven, and even though the pump is still attached we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Man, does that feel good.

Today in our meeting with Dr. Ansari we talked about Johnny's blood pressure a little more. It is being stubborn and doesn't want to come down and stay down. It has come down for a day or two, but then heads back up to the 160/100 range. Not acceptable at all. We have doubled his dosage for the second time and hope that with the last session on the horizon, it is all we will have to do. Dr. Ansari has assured us that after chemo is over, this problem will resolve with time.

Johnny's feet have become the biggest source of frustration. They are completely numb on the bottom and burn when they get cold (which happens if he even walks on the hardwood floors!). They have also started to peel and darken, just like his hands have been doing. Again, we are assured this will go away, if not completely then mostly. He was started on Neurontin to help with the pain associated with all of this.

A couple times over the last two weeks he has sprung a nosebleed. Nothing that scared either one of us, but worth mentioning to the doctor, nonetheless. He wasn't too concerned.

His lab values have remained strong. His liver function labs have been elevated, but that is expected what with cancer in the liver and all the nasty chemicals we have been sending that way to invade the tumors. Today his platelet count was the lowest it has been at 101, but again not too concerning. Nobody even blinked today when they got the results. The really, really good news with is labs is that his CEA level has gone down yet again! Today it was 3.4! That is nearly unbelievable. Johnny's nurse today said, "I just can't imagine that it can go any lower, but you have proven me wrong before!"

We finally have the name of the surgeon, too. Her name is Mary Maluccio. Johnny was thrilled that the surgeon is a woman. His theory is that women still have to try so much harder to become a surgeon in a male dominated field, so she must be EXCELLENT! We will get to meet her after the first of the year and make that determination on our own.

If you don't mind me asking again, I'd love it if you would all continue with the prayers. I know you are busy with Christmas shopping, baking, decorating and all that but just throw up a "Hey, You!" on our behalf every now and then. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. I still pray OFTEN (I would lie if I said every night...sometimes, I just fall asleep) so don't think anyone is forgetting. His 101 count is awesome!!! My mom was hospitalized at this point(after months of being fine) so you are well on your way to getting healthy again and I think can breathe again--I bet you have seen the worst of the chemo already. I also agree about the woman surgeon thing...even before I read Johnny's rationalization, I thought, "good, its a woman." Felt the same way about my surgeon.

    Its hard to imagine how far you have come, isn't it. Amazing what faith and hope can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow Brawleys!!!!!!

    One more round of chemo! Only one...the counts look fantastic, the neuropathy and dark/peely skin and the other crappola that comes with this is sooooo close to over!
    You know the prayers aren't even close to over by the way!!!
    We are going to step it up going into the holidays, just in case some other toad fans are too busy. Know that we are all behind you and that you are in my thoughts every day!
    love you all-
    george(derek, chad and ryne too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of you guys everyday! I know the people at work even know you, I talk of you so often! The bright side of all of this is that now I see fellow chemo patients out and about! I have seen Brother James many times! Yesterday at the Ace Hardware store, we hugged! I have new friends from this horrible disease that I never thought I would have! You will not believe how good Johnny will feel after a month of no chemo! I didn't realize I felt so shitty, but I was at least able to function. Hugs and kisses, May

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello there, my name is jaclyn jaroch--i'm lonnae fillwock's niece. i've been following your blog since my mom, julie, e-mailed it to me a few weeks ago. i'm so excited to see that you guys are coming near to the very positive end of a long battle.

    i decided to comment on this post out of all of them because you mentioned how johnny's feet are always cold. i'm living way up in the mountains in wyoming and have a pair of down booties to keep my feet warm. they really are wonderful. i'm sure johnny would enjoy them and benefit from a pair. :)

    http://gearx.com/sierra-designs-down-booties-mens.html

    merry christmas! i'll continue to keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete