Tuesday, August 10, 2010

So long for now, my Toad Prince

Where to start. . .

When I wrote last I knew we were getting close to the end.  I had NO idea we were that close.

In my last post I had failed to mention that when we got home on Wednesday from the hospital, Johnny and I laid down to take a nap.  When I woke up, he wasn't in bed.  As a matter of fact, he wasn't even in the house.  I heard him outside yelling at the dogs to get in the house.  I rolled my chair out to the kitchen and found him standing in the garage trying to get Soleil to cooperate and get in the house. 

"What are you doing out here?"  I screamed at him.

He told me he had taken a walk back into the woods to see how in shape he was for bear hunting.  He came in the house and was walking around so strongly on his own.  It had been months since he had been able to walk with a solid/strong gait. 

"Wow, Look at You!" 

"I know, I feel great."

"Well, DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!  YOU ARE BARE-FOOTED AND WHAT IF YOU WOULD HAVE FALLEN DOWN!"

"I made sure I stayed where you could see me if I was laying on the ground."

That's my Toad.

Thursday came around and I was surprised that he was showing some signs of muscle weakening and the start of the familiar confusion I had come to really hate.  He was still conversational, and when Jim and Molly picked up the boys to go to Cedar Point, the boys kissed and hugged their dad.  Johnny told them to go and have the best time EVER.  They both left with, "I love you, Dad." being their last words as they walked out the door.

Thursday continued with the confusion worsening.  By Friday, he was mostly sleeping and didn't do any talking.  He would respond to me, but most of his responses were either hard to get out or not appropriate.

The hospice nurse came on Friday afternoon and did an assessment.  When she was done asking him/me questions, she asked me to come into the kitchen so we could talk.

"I have just met you, so I don't know how much you want to know."

Hello, it's me, so of course I said, "Everything."

She said, "He is progressing even faster than I think you realize."

"So, the 2-3 months that Dr. Ansari said is probably pretty optimistic?"

"Making it to the end of this month is probably pretty optimistic."

Long Silence.   Those little twinkly lights started to show up in my vision.  Deep Breaths, Deep Breaths.

We continued to talk about comfort measures and made sure that we had everything in the house to make this possible.  I asked about food and fluids.  Her response was that it wasn't really necessary any more.  He would soon lose his ability to swallow, and there was really no point in forcing him, which would only lead to having the food/fluids go into his lungs.

She said that soon he would lose bodily functions and may begin to get agitated easily.  She gave me instructions for every scenario she could think of.  She also made sure I had the Hospice number in strategic places around the house. 

Wow, that was a lot to absorb.  I've always considered myself a realist, but I thought she was talking about things that I had days to weeks to prepare for.

At bedtime Friday night, I told him everything the nurse had to tell me.  He was pretty lucid at the time, and I think he understood most of it.  I cried on his shoulder for a long time while he rubbed my shoulder.  I said, "I'm losing you and there isn't any thing I can do."  He said, "I'm ok.  You'll be ok."  I asked him again if he was scared and he replied, "Never."

I spent the rest of the night telling him how much I loved him and how happy he made my life.  I told him some of my favorite stories of "us".  He squeezed my hand and said, for the last time, "I love you, Babe."

He woke up Saturday and was basically in the recliner all day.  He went back to bed about 4 in the after noon and started moaning and was starting to lose consciousness, intermittently.  A build up of secretions had started which was making him sound like a motor boat with a weak engine.  As the evening progressed, so did the secretions.  By late evening I called Hospice for some direction on how to handle this level of fluid.  They told me what to do and I did it.  For about 10 seconds it seemed be better.  Over the course of the next two hours I called twice more.  I really found it hard to believe that I was struggling with this so much.  I felt like I was letting him down.

At about 1 a.m. Jimmy came over (to pick up kids from Bryanna's campfire next door) and just stopped in to see how Johnny was doing.  Having him with me was a gift from God.  I am so glad that I wasn't alone with all that was going on.  He helped me try to get Johnny comfortable by sitting up, laying down, whatever.  Nothing would stop his agitation.  I called Hospice again while Jimmy was here and just asked if someone would come out and check him.  At this point Jimmy and I both thought he sounded like he was drowning.

Within the next couple minutes, Johnny's agitation subsided, he became still, and took two very deep breaths and then stopped breathing altogether.  Jimmy and I looked at each other, and the only thing I could think to say was, "Oh, no, Jimmy."

And then his 13 month struggle had ended.  While my heart broke, I thanked God for his mercy in not having Johnny linger and struggle.

It is my belief that when Johnny took his walk in the woods, that was his "sudden burst of energy" that the terminally ill seem to get.  I also think this was his turning point for deciding that he wouldn't be strong enough to bear hunt. 

I miss him each minute with everything I have.  I loved him and he loved me.  That isn't something that death takes away. 

My eyelids are no longer cooperating, so I am closing for now. There is so much in my heart that I still have to share.

Quickly, here are the arrangements:

Visitation:
Thursday, 2-8 pm at Halbritter on Main St, Niles
We are encouraging people to wear their Fighting Toad shirts if they have them.  It's what Johnny will be wearing!

Funeral:
Friday, 2 pm at the Hope Community Church, Lake Street, Niles

Luncheon to follow:
Niles High School Cafeteria, 17th and Eagle St, Niles

Memorial Contributions can be made to the Brian Parker Memorial Foundation.
A college fund has been established at 5/3 bank for Quinn and Jake.

God Bless us all.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my sweet "little" cousin....my heart is broken right along with yours. Walking this path with you and Johhny has been filled with so many emotions, the entire spectrum, from hope & joy, to disbelief & devastation...does it seem crazy (I know it wouldn't surprize you coming from me) to say it's also been a blessing of sorts? You and Johnny have reminded all of us that every day is a gift and that life should be as much of a celebration as you can make it, not because you are dying (aren't we all?) but because we are blessed and should be thankful for every second with the people that we love...we should be grateful always.

    I woke up this morning with you on my mind, although you've not left my mind for a second since Sunday, I was saying my prayers for strength for you and the boys and got thinking about the "moment of GRACE" that God seems to give to us when we are about to lose someone we love. I prayed that you were granted that and like an answer to my prayer....here is your post this morning! Thank you for sharing such a private, beautiful moment with all of us. I think that God wanted you to remember how strong your Toad was physically before the ruthless b*stard cancer showed up, He likely wanted your minds eye to see that strength and know Johnny would be whole and strong again in Heaven...and bear hunting :)


    Your strength continues to amaze me, but we don't expect it all the time, whatever you need to do, say, feel, share or not share is all part of this "journey".... and we will be here for you.

    we will be with you on it always-
    I love you
    georgeann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam
    1st of all I want to say my thoughts and prayers are with you..
    I dont visit facebook alot but the last time I was on i read about you breaking your ankle then the next time I got on FB I read your blog from last Wensday and You & Johnny have been in my prayers, I could not believe what was happening to your family all I kept thinking was- THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN TO COUPLES OUR AGE!!
    It ONLY happens when your old and married for 50 yrs & have lived your life and have great grandkids. But we all know that doesnt work out that way and it seems soo unfair, The way I look at Johnnys death??
    Is that God must have a REALLY good reason for taking him home soo soon. We just dont know that reason yet, but one day just out of the blue you WILL know that he is sill with you and the kids and he WILL always watch over his family Just think of how lucky You are to have your own personal guardian angel and it makes it just a little easier knowing "THAT ANGEL" knows everything about you - He knows how to make you happy when you are sad even on your days when you feel like you could just about loose ur mind you will find yourself looking up to heaven and saying, "C'Mon Johnny" help me out here! and he will b there everytime.
    I know how it is to loose the people you love the most. I lost my mom and dad 3 weeks apart from each other and then my mother Inlaw 1 yr later all to the dreaded cancer. Thats all I can say for now. but if you ever need a friend or someone to talk with on those nights you cant sleep Im usually still awake @ 3am
    take care and if theres anything at all you need Im a phone call away.
    Michelle Betchek (Shellie Wright)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, my heart is aching so very much for you as well as all the family and friends who's lives were touched by Johnny. I wanted to share with you the morning devotional that was dated 8/28, the day God took my Pete. It was amazing to me that out of 365 devotionals (one for each day of the year), the one on that given morning read like this:

    GOD KNOWS WHAT'S BEST: "The problem with this world is that it doesn't fit. Oh, it will do for now, but it isn't tailor made. We were made to live with God, but on earth we live by faith. We were made to live forever, but on this earth we live but for a moment...We must trust God. We must trust not only that he does what is best but that he knows what is ahead. Ponder the words of Isaiah 57:1-2: "The good men perish; the godly die before their time and no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to realize that God is taking them away from the evil days ahead. For the godly who die shall rest in peace" My, what a thought. God is taking them away from the evil days ahead. Could death be God's grace? Could the funeral wreath be God's safety ring? As horrible as the grave may be, could it be God's protection from the future? Trust in God, Jesus urges and trust in me. Proverbs 3:5 Trust the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."

    As you well know Pam, God's perfect plan isn't easy for us. However, your faithfulness to Him and your strength from Him are truly a testimony to bringing Him glory no matter how high the mountains or deep the valleys. Always here if you would like to talk or even sit in silence, I'm good at both. God Bless You, Tammy Baugher Kaczor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam,
    This is still so unbelievable and words still cannot express our feelings. We thank you for taking us on this journey with you and Johnny. The ups, downs and side-ways all involved. The show of your strength as individuals and as a family has brought so much inspiration to me personallyand what I have seen it do to an entire community is nothing less than astonishing. We have all been so blessed to know Johnny and to be with you and the entire Brawley family the whole way. Never doubt the love and support you have from family and friends; it is here, it is strong and will hold you up when you need it. Our love to you and the boys! God has called an exeptional person home, as said before, he must have some amazing plans for him and Johnny is in Heaven, living painfree and watching over you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! I can barely type with the tears flowing so hard!! My heart and prayers go out to you and the entire family!
    I did not know either one of you well but can feel the pain you are and will be going through. I too have lost so many to Cancer. I am glad you were strong enough to except what was about to happen so you could take advantage of every minute you had with him!!! So glad You had Jim with you so you didn't have to go through that alone!! Jim is a wonderul guy!!
    Thank God he didn't have to suffer any longer then he did! May he rest in peace!!!!
    Brenda Pompey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam & Family:

    Bill asked that I send you a note to let you know how deeply sorry we are for you and your family. We have all been so touched by your posts -- thank you so much for reminding us all the importance of life and love and family. The last time we felt like this was when Tracy Wilson passed away -- same situation as yours with two young children. Bill had spent his summer visiting Tracy in Fort Wayne twice a week and putting the business on hold to try to help his best friend make it through. It is all so sad and it makes you sit and wonder why but then God has a plan -- we just don't get to see it down here on earth.

    We wanted to help out during the Relay for Life but unfortunately we ended up being out of town at a baseball tournament. We will make it a point to be there next year and will have a luminary dedicated to your husband. We will always think of him and your family even though we don't really know you from your sharing your thoughts and words with all of us. You truly are a remarkable person with a wonderful talent. Thank you again for helping us all to understand the importance of living each day to the fullest. Your postings have helped me to reach out to my children and have provided me with opportunities to share your story with many of our friends and acquaintances. You will never know how many lives you have touched.

    The next several days will be difficult ones but you will be amazed by the support you will receive from the community. Niles has a way of showing their love and respect and you have reached out to the world so I'm sure it will be a bit overwhelming. May God bless you and your entire family and again thank you for helping us all realize the precious gift of life.

    The Zimmerman Family --
    Bill, Lori, Evan, Ethan & Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  7. " May God bless you and your family"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam...your words and strength are a beacon for many people. It may just be to appreciate life and love. It may be to help others who are going through what you and your family did. I hope that as time goes by you will be able to look back and understand how truly strong you were for Johnny and your boys. And how truly inspirational you were/are for the rest of us looking in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Brawley Family,

    Our thoughts and prayers extend with deep sorrow. May the Brawley Nation be comforted by their memories of Johnny.

    God bless.

    Mike & Stephani Lehman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red (class of '57) & Cookie MooneyAugust 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM

    Pam. We are so sorry to hear of Johnny's passing but glad to know that he is no longer suffering. The void he has left is beyond words. Cherish the memories and know that his spirit is somewhere in the north woods keeping an eye on those traps of his dads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs. Brawley,
    All I can say is that you are a wonderful, stong, loving person and have amazing words. Your strenght is enough for this entire word and that is a blessing. Your blog brings tears to my eyes each time I read it. I hope you, Quinn, and Jake are doing good. I love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for you & Your boys.
    I thought about your family & What you guys must have been going through but thinking it is a whole lot different than living in it & Having it be a reality for someone. You are an inspiration to many including myself, I saw so many people post that to you, but as I read your blogs on this & Having actually SEEN it for myself it is UNBELIEVABLE you are amazing. What you & Your family went through is so sad, I have a massive headache from crying so hard on this last blog. If you need anything at all the Sharkey's are here for you & I am so sorry. Johnny would be proud of you for fighting with him for so long. As I went through & Read everything, he seemed like a very thankful man for everything people did for him.He will be missed dearly. God bless you & Your family & Please know that I am sure that toad is looking down on you guys right now. Love you guys.
    The Sharkey family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I am reading your last blog my tears are streamming down. I want to say somthing to help you and your prescious sons to get through this very sad time. There is nothing that would be adiquit. I want you to know that We love your family so much and I know God does too. If there is anything that you need please, please call us.

    Love always Bill & Marilyn Gaideski

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam,
    Words cannot express my sorrow for you and the boys. Mike Peters and I were talking Sunday morning and I told him that the worst thing for me was thinking about your 2 boys and Mike told me that Jake & Quinn have the biggest & most supportive family with Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandmas, Grandpas and the strongest mother any kid could EVER have and he is EXACTLY right!!
    Now everytime I look up on my wall at those 2 Bucks that Johnny did for me, you know who I'll be thinking of!
    I also was talking to Rick McKeel about the upcoming football season and I told him that the Vikings will have a "12th" Man looking over them.
    On behalf of my Dad "RC" and my family, our hearts go out to you Pam and the entire Brawley Family.

    Rob Clingaman

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pam,
    Johnny will always be in r hearts for years and years 2 come. I am so sorry about your loss. I hope the boys r ok. Mostly r u ok? U were the best wife that anyone could have and the best mom u where like a mom 2 me. Pam we will all miss him and wish u the best.

    Love mostly,
    Kaitlyn and Jamis McDonald

    ReplyDelete