Saturday, August 7, 2010

Not enough time . . .

Our hospice nurse, Deb, stopped yesterday to do a complete check on Johnny.  She was very thorough and asked many, many questions.  I liked her instantly.  I think in Hospice training they must have a class on speaking calmly and quietly, but with confidence. 

After her review of Johnny we went to the kitchen and she said, "I don't know you yet, so I don't know how much you want to know."  I do know me, so of course I said, "Everything.  And I want it straight."

"He is moving along very quickly."

Long silence followed.

"So you think the 2-3 months Dr. Ansari mentioned was generous?"

"I think making it to the end of the month may be generous."

While she was here, Johnny was still able to talk a bit and answer questions although I had to fill in the blanks of his confusion.  In just one day's time, he is unresponsive, incontinent, and moans pretty much non-stop.  I don't believe he is in pain, but I do give him his medications as directed by Hospice so that I know he isn't suffering.  At times he is agitated, but that is usually only for a few minutes at a time.  His wakeful periods are minimal.

The boys came home today from Cedar Point with Uncle Jimmy (not a Boo) and Aunt Molly.  When they left on Thursday, Johnny was still able to have a decent conversation.  They were devastated to walk in and see him in this condition. 

We took time for the four of us to lay together in our bed and talk about what Dad is going through and how long it could possibly take for him to pass.  As I have mentioned before, I feel like their childhood's have been ripped away from them.  It was in their beautiful eyes and on their sad little faces today.

Quinn asked if it was wrong to want him to die soon.  I told him that is was my shared prayer that if we can't keep him, then we would like God to be merciful and bring him home as quickly as possible.  Jake wants him to be cremated (which is Johnny's wish as well) because he doesn't want him stuck in the ground. 

Tonight I had to call Hospice to get direction for Johnny's uncontrolled secretions.  His cough isn't strong enough to manage them and he was having a hard time breathing and was doing a lot of coughing in response.  I gave the medicine that they provided and have noticed that over the past hour or so, he no longer sounds like a motor-boat trying to start up.  His moaning is nearly constant, so I just try to whisper to him or rub his back.  I don't think it helps him at all, but it helps me.

I'm trying to stay strong by meditating.  Ok, not the "hippie" type of meditation or the Ashram kind, just closing my eyes and trying to find the calmest spot I can find and stay there for as long as possible.  I only allow pleasant thought and beautiful images there, and I always hold Johnny's hand while I'm doing it.  I truly feel him calm along with me.  I don't have a mantra or anything, but just sitting still and being calm and quiet has a very positive effect on me.  I plan on continuing to do this even after Johnny has passed.

Do I have a feeling at all on how long I think it will be?  No, not yet.  I know that he has already gone 3 days without any food/hydration.  I just can't see him going on much longer, and truly it is too hard to watch my Johnny not actually be here while he is laying in our bed.  I already miss him so much.

Dear God, please bring him home to you quickly.

22 comments:

  1. We love you. I hope your prayers are answered and your Johnny does not suffer. We are praying for you and the boys to feel all of our love and support~

    This quote came to mind as I read your post.....Prayer is when you talk to God; meditation is when you listen to God

    Your are all loved by so many.

    The Meek Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you but my children know your kids and your husband. You seem like a very strong woman. Our prayers are with you and your children during this painful time. We too are praying for GOD's mercy for Johnny and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In times such as these it is hard to say the right thing....some people will be encouraging
    some will weep......some will be angry...some will say nothing at all.......Just know that everyone means well....whatever they say.
    So... Say everything you ever wanted to say...Have no regrets...and never lose HOPE. Hope is what carries you though to another day. Its what gets you up in the morning and its what puts you to bed at night. It is the look you will see in peoples eyes...and the look they want to see in yours.

    We love you friends........WE will pray for you..and WE will never lose HOPE..
    Hold on and hang tough Brawley's ....you are in my heart...
    Gina Shepard-Hahn -Florida

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for strength and mercy and peace for all of you. No other words come to mind. Just love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,
    We send you all our prayers and support!
    Nikki Meek Syson

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sat last night and talked about Johnny for a long time. Matt is devastated and we are praying for you guys hourly. I pray God listens to your prayers for peace because no one deserves it more than your family. Love you-Angie Stuver

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam and family,
    our heartfelt prayers are with you and yours.
    Jeanne Beers and Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. God saw you getteing tired
    and a cure was not to be
    so he put his arms around you
    and whispered "come with me"

    you suffered much in silence
    your spirit did not bend
    you faced your pain with courage
    until the very end

    with tearful eyes we watched you,
    and saw you pass away
    although we loved you dearly
    we could not ask you to stay

    when we saw you sleeping
    so peaceful and free from pain
    we could not wish you back
    to suffer again

    your heart stopped beating
    our loved one now at rest
    god broke our hearts to
    prove to us he only takes the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I sit and read this, tears run down. We pray for Johnny, as well as you and the boys to finally have peace. As always, remember how much support you and your family have. Prayers are stronger now than ever, our hearts are strongly connected to yours and the support of family, friends and the community will help to hold you up. God bless you all. Much love and prayers,
    The Andres Family

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have been praying for your family from the time we heard the diagnosis. Johnny was on Greg's golf team for a season during one of the first years he was coaching. We have always had a high regard for the Brawley family and know with your family and friends you will have a strong support system. To tell you of the small world we live in, I just found out today that Quinn's girlfriend is my sister-in-law's niece. Small, small world. Prayers for all of you will continue.

    Greg and Linda Gunder

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending all our love and prayers. Tex, Connie Clint and Trever

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam - I am so sorry for the loss to you, your family and the city of Niles. I can just imagine the tears flowing across the area. Cancer sucks. Haven't seen you in a long time, but I remember your love for each other and for others. My prayers are with you. I'm so so sorry.

    Kathy (Klatt) Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  13. my prayers are with you and the boys so sorry for your loss the Mokwa family

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have all been praying for your family. Rick lost his Dad when he was 16, so he really feels for the boys. Pam, you have been so strong, such an inspiration to so many with this love story. Please know we will do anything we can to help, and will continue to pray for comfort for your family and all the friends who love Johnny.
    Love, Rick, Michele, Hunter and Anna Bedell

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank God, that His arms are wide enough to hold His Johnny and all his beloved ones with tearful eyes and broken hearts this day.

    Kathy K.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mrs. Toad...you do not know me, but I have followed you since the beginning. I was looking for a survivor site to cling to - to show to my brother...my best friend. I lost him to the nearly identical scenario on 7/18 and it has changed me forever. I was a caregiver when I could make it across the country, and with him pretty much 24/7 for the last 10 days of his life. He reminded me so much of your Toad that I couln't stop reading here. I wanted this to be the man that beat it. I find myself reliving the eperience with your Toad, and you-and wishing I knew you and could help. My bro was 46 and left 4 children behind. And many, many complications.

    If I can help in any way, email me at megp4567@yahoo.com and I'll share, listen, whatever you have in mind. It's all too familiar, all too close to home. My heart breaks all over again for your family.

    My name is Meg. My brother was Chris.

    All of my prayers, wishes, glasses of red wine, funny stories, good friends and hope-I send them all to you.

    Best of luck to all, and genuine love and understading to all of your family.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never known a man (and his whole family)who were so widely known and so remarkably revered. No matter where I travelled, it seemed that someone knew the Brawleys, and in those travels, I found NO ONE who had anything negative to say about any of them. Johnny...you were one of a kind and will forever remain in my heart. Pam, Jake and Quinn.....your strength and faith have inspired us all. Know that whatever needs you have going forward, there will be an army of volunteers to see to them all, and I will always be in that army! Love you all!!!!!!!

    Dave Byrum

    ReplyDelete
  18. Johnny Brawley was my childhood neighbor, my friend, and my coaching role model. I have spent the day remembering.......remembering the basbeall games at Sharkey's field in the summer. The football games between Misty Acres and White Street. Tying spawn bags for fishing. And baseball at Howard Township. I am honored to have known Toad and watching how he coached. I am even more honored to coach his old team The Raptors next season and will do my best to carry on his legacy if even in a small way.

    To Pam, Quinn, and Jake my heart goes out to you. Words cannot express the grief I feel.

    Rest now Toad, go find a honey hole, catch your limit every day, and when the leaves start to turn, hang your tree stand and bag the big one........I'll see you again someday.

    Mark Young

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry to say that this is the first time I have wrote, but Johnny would understand. I'm not very good at writing. I only had the chance to know Johnny for a short period of a time. From the moment I got to know him, I instantly fell in love with him, and the whole Brawley family. Everyone is right when they say anyone who knows a member of the Brawley family, has love for and has been inspired by them. Pam, you are amazing person, strong and kind, loving and caring. NO words can say how much everyone will miss "OUR" beloved JOHNNY. Rest in peace Johnny and know that Pam and the boys will be well taken care of.
    Love always,
    Karen Fred
    aka - Freddie

    ReplyDelete
  20. My dad called to say that the Toad as gotten his wings...

    He had picked up the phone to call Johnny Friday as he was on the water throwing traps with Dusty, he says he felt Johnny standing next to him in the wheelhouse joking and loving the salt spray.

    It is with a heavy heart that we thank God for taking away Johnny's physical pain and giving him wings so he may always be with you, the boys, and all his muched loved family until you all meet again.

    We are all praying for continued strength and support for all of you. We feel blessed to have known Johnny and all the Browleys.

    Thank you for your blog.

    Peace and Love~ Shieloh, Dusty, Sandahl and Capt Art Stephens

    ReplyDelete
  21. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We know the pain of loosing a loved one in this way....our tears fall for you. May you find the strength and peace of God as you rest in His arms. We are praying for you....Johnny will be truly missed. Aaron and Jennifer Ashley

    ReplyDelete