Thursday, August 5, 2010

Major Decisions

Five days in the hospital . . . Let me just say, “WOW”. 

As I’ve been talking a lot about lately, Johnny’s fluid balance got the best of us once again which landed him  in the ER with an admission to the Oncology floor.   

Last Saturday was Matt Brawley’s (and Mrs. Brooke Brawley) wedding. Johnny was adamant that he was going to that wedding. He wouldn’t take no for an answer, and to tell you the truth I didn’t try really hard to say no.   

He complained all morning about excruciating stomach pain across the middle of his abdomen. I knew he was terribly dehydrated, too. After Matt and Brooke’s beautiful wedding, I brought Johnny home and before he even got back into bed, he said, “I need to go to the hospital.”    

I knew it was bad if he was telling me. 

In the ER, they started him on fluids and drew labs, etc. We knew from the last abdomen CT that he had an inflamed pancreas and now we had reached full blown pancreatitis. Don’t ever wish pancreatitis on your worst enemy. It is terribly painful, and treated mostly with “gut rest” or in other words no eating or drinking.  

Over the course of his admission, we reviewed his medications and pain management and have made several changes where that’s concerned. Improvements have all been working nicely.   

Chemotherapy was scheduled for Monday morning, but since he was inpatient, we obviously didn’t go. Instead, Dr. Ansari came to us. We had a long heart-to-heart. Dr. Ansari explained to us that we can see on the CT that Johnny’s belly is fully affected by cancer now -- lymph nodes are getting even more involved, there is inflammation of the entire mesenteric area and his pancreas is terribly inflamed (although not yet invaded by cancer). There are now mutliple nodules in the lower lobe of his right lung and the chest lymph nodes are increasing in size and number.    

We are losing the fight.   

The difficult decision to stop all chemotherapy was made. Dr. Ansari said he didn’t want to go back to the infusion center to tell the girls, because they all have fallen in love with Johnny. Who could blame them? 

I asked if we were still on track with the time frame he had initially told us in May, which was about 6 months. He said at this point it looks like 2-3 months, but Johnny is a strong-spirited guy and didn’t commit to a definite number.   

Johnny told him that he wanted to go home and Dr. Ansari agreed and said that as soon as the pancreatitis had calmed down we could go. When that time came, he said that instead of having Johnny come back to the ER every time he needs fluids, he wanted us to go home with Hospice Care.    

Hospice? Oh my God, that is for people who are dying. And my Johnny needs Hospice Care? How did that happen so soon?    

We have met most of his Hospice Team, and if you’ve ever heard anyone talk of Hospice and how amazing the people are, they are right. Every encounter we have had so far has been incredible. Johnny’s comfort is the number one concern. They told me, “We are your 911 from now on. You call us day or night when you have a need. We are here for you, Johnny and the boys.” It is very calming to know I can keep Johnny here  and they will come to him if he has another crisis.   

Johnny is feeling much better, but still sleeps most of the time. When he wakes, he is usually talkative and jokes around. When he is listening to conversation, his eyes are closed, but he stays involved in the conversation. 

Please pray really hard for the boys right now. They understand that our time is short and it is becoming so much more difficult knowing that saying a final goodbye is creeping closer daily. Quinn is wearing his emotions on his sleeve and tries so hard to be brave and strong. The two of us had a good talk/cry together last night and I know that eventually we will all be fine again. I love that he loves his dad so much and we talked about how lucky he is to have a dad that has been involved in his life from day one. His uncles will all foster his love of hunting and fishing and he is such an “old soul” that I know I will be able to lean on him on days when I feel I can’t stand on my own.   

Jake tries to stay involved with his friends as much as possible and still manages to keep himself involved with Johnny, although to a less physical degree than Quinn. Jake’s network of friends and “other mothers” will make this situation more tolerable for him. I’ll also be able to lean on Jake and his humor when I am having bad days.   

Together the three of us are invincible.   

Lately I have been reading a lot and working on finding peace and understanding. I know I am a strong woman and will eventually (with my boys) be ok. I refuse to ask, Why me? Or Why Johnny? That just doesn’t make anyone feel any better.     

I will spend the rest of Johnny’s days making it my duty and my honor to help him feel the best he possibly can.   

We still love to have visitors, but I know you will all understand when I say that I have to limit the number of visitors per day/week. If you are interested in stopping by, please just give us a jingle first and we can determine if it is a good time or not. I know you will understand if it just isn’t a good day, and we will try again later. Also, please understand that sometimes we don’t answer the phone (We do not have caller ID, so we aren’t screening, I swear!). We may both be sleeping, talking, or just not in a position to carry on a conversation. Leave a message, or try another time. We want your calls! Promise!   

Thanks to everyone who have asked about my legs. This I can tell you: One broken ankle sucks, add to that a broken foot and it is downright cruel. I am please with the answer to my prayers to stay home with Johnny, but struggle with how badly my physical body has let me down. Nighttime is the worst because by then the cam boots feel like I am wearing my dad’s snowmobile boots with lead weights in them. They are heavy, hot, and annoying. Especially when the Velcro sticks together and I can’t get my legs apart in the middle of the night. I’m telling you, someone should put a secret camera in my room if they want to win AFV’s $100,000 grand prize!    

My multitude of thanks continues to everyone providing comfort for my family. Whether it is food, prayer, visits, whatever . . . Thank you so much.

26 comments:

  1. We are so sorry for all of you. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love,
    Brent, Emilee, and kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I'm amazed each time you post on here and admire your strength, you are a beautiful strong lady, it must be so hard to keep it all together for Johnny and the kids. I have been keeping Tony up to date from this, I know it's difficult for him to be so far from Johnny and not be able to stop by to see him or the rest of the family. You are all in our thoughts and prayers always! Much love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this time we are praying for you & the boys to have peace,and strength. Thank you Johnny for being a part of our life,You are an amazing man, we love you and feel so very blessed to have had you be a part of our life.......Hugs & Kisses.....
    The Weldy's..............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, just last night Brad asked, "any news on Johnny?" Holly asks frequently too. It is hard for me to answer her questions, I cannot imagine how it is for you with the boys. I'm so glad to hear Hospice is at your beck and call, however, my heart aches to hear it has come so soon. Your spirit is admirable, your strength, unmatchable. Johnny is so blessed to have had you for most of his young life. I know you are all embracing every precious moment you have left.
    love and continued strength for you all,
    Melanie and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,
    My heart breaks for all of you, but at the same time it swells with pride to know that I have such an incredibly brave, strong and beautiful friend. You are full of grace, Pam. Johnny deserves no less than that! That's why you two were meant for each other! You are both the best of the best!!!!! We love you all so much and we pray each day for you to all to have the strength to get through this!! Give Johnny the biggest hug from me and tell him he needs to give you one back!!!! We love you,
    Heidi and Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam and family, you are constantly in our thoughts and we wish much love, peace, and comfort.XO



    Debbie and Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Words cannot express how sorry we are. Your family has truly been an inspiration to so many. Johnny, as well as you and the boys, have given hope to so many people, touched so many lives and brought together a community of family and friends. Our prayers go out to you.

    Mike and Ginger Andres and family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stranger in Massachusetts thinking and praying for your family. So glad to hear that hospice will be helping you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Brawley Family,

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you. With such amazing strong minds, bravery and love in the Brawley family it is truly unmatchable.

    Love and peace,

    Mike & Steph Lehman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for peace, strength and comfort for you all. Our hearts are breaking, but hope you can feel the love of this community for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Godspeed toad love from all

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam, my love and prayers to you and the boys and I hope that Johnny knows how many people love and support him and you. God has a plan for us and we can not question, one glorious day you will reunite and Johnny will be pain free and perfect.

    Christine Jann Hilfinger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Throat - lumped

    Eyes - teared and red

    Heart - broken

    Faith - Strong

    Hope for a miracle - eternal

    we love you all-
    p-wee & the men

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam> HOSPICE is a awsom team,they were always there for us even to just talk, our prayers are with all of you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pam,

    We are so sorry to hear this news. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, Johnny and the boys. Johnny continues to keep this community together as he has had such an influence on so many people. We pray for strength for your healing and comfort for Johnny.

    The Grishaber's

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am so saddend by this post but am amazed at your composure and strength and willingness to share your families journey. God will always hear your prayers and all the others for Johnny and you and the family, never give up the gift of Faith. Prayers that God lays his healing hands on Johnny and takes away his pain and that he gives you and your family strength and guidance through this journey. Blessings. Mark and Vicki Shields

    ReplyDelete
  17. I miss seeing you at work Pam...especially now when I want to give you the biggest hug ever! Please know that you have been and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, and all 3 of your boys too! I wish you peace and comfort over these next few months. Love always, Katie Harshman

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's very hard to change.... hard on everyone. Please give Johnny my love and respect and a handshake to Jake with his guitar.
    You're in my thoughts daily.

    One time young 8-9 year old Johnny and I went fishing out on a pier up in northern Michigan. In the early morning we walked out this long rocky appendage in the dark with only a light bulb or two hanging from the black lamp posts allowing us to see where we were going. As we approached a bulb near the end of the pier, where we were to throw our lines in the water, there was a bat sitting on the rocks blocking our way to the end... and our fishing. Wise old unca Link says, "Just leave him alone, Johny. He'll leave us alone."
    I walked around the beast and then Johnny nervously started walking around the animal. Daggone it, the darn bat flew right up off the rocks and landed on Johnny's shoulder...scaring him to death... so much for "leave them alone and they'll leave you alone"
    It has been an ongoing memory of our very nice times together.

    Link

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pam .. I know at this point U probably dont want to hear.. "I am sooo Sorry" BUT.. I truly am.. My word might not mean to much right now.. But know my thoughts and prayers...are with YOU.. yr family and Johnny.. as tears run down my face as I read this.. I said we think God doesn't give US more than we can handle..But WHY does he have soooo much confidence in US.. I am saying this for YOU...U never know how strong YOU are until Strong is all YOU have.. You Pam are an amazing woman..U r about to be come stronger. U have some awesome friends..Classmates, that love you.. So plz don't hesitate to ask and lean on them.. If there is anything I can do for you or yr family plz contact me..I will be there..
    Many hugs! Prayers, Thoughts.. KEEP FIGHTING!
    Dawn (Carpenter) Pompey

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are thinking and talking about how amazing you guys are daily and you are our role models for how to be partners, parents and friends. You make us realize how blessed we are to know you. You make us realize our blessings and make us handle our struggles easier. We admire you both and our prayers are with you tonight and every single night. Love Matt, Angie and boys

    ReplyDelete
  21. I worked with Johnny when I was at Bowne. He's an awesome soul and I can tell reading your blog that you are blessed with that same spirit. My prayers go out to you all tonight as they have for the past several months. Stay strong, but don't be afraid to lean on others when you need to. You've got many people ready and willing to be that support.

    Mike Popielski

    ReplyDelete
  22. As hard as it is for us to read this, I can only imagine how hard this is for you and the boys. I admire you Pam. You have a lot on your shoulders, your journey has made all of us re-evaluate our own lives and count our blessings. I am so happy Johnny & the boys have you, as you are perfectly matched! Many prayers & higs your way! ~Lori Baxter

    ReplyDelete
  23. Johnny and Pam,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. Let me say that, as a Paramedic, Hospice people and especially their Nurses are the most competent, caring and knowledgeable health professionals I have ever come across. I know it has been a long time since I have seen you guys, but let me know if there is anything I can do.

    Scott VanOrman

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear God, I called tonight
    to talk a little while,
    I need a friend who’ll listen
    to my anxiety and trial…

    You see, I can’t quite make it
    through the day just on my own

    I need your love to guide me

    so I’ll never feel alone.

    I want to ask you please to keep,

    my family safe and sound.

    Come and fill their lives with confidence
    for whatever fate they are bound.

    Give me faith, dear God, to face
    each hour throughout the day,

    And not to worry over things
    I can’t change in any way.

    I thank you God, for being home

    and listening to my call.

    for giving me such good advice
    when I stumble and fall.

    Your number, God, is the only one
    that answers every time.

    I never get a busy signal,

    never had to pay a dime.

    So thank you, God, for listening too

    my troubles and my sorrow.


    Good night God, I love you too, and I’ll call again tomorrow.

    Author Unknown~ Dawn (carpenter)Pompey

    ReplyDelete
  25. To the Brawley Family,

    Pam, years ago I lived in Misty Acres & knew the Brawley family very well. Bill & I were best friends. I used to baby sit for John & Ginger's kids, which would have been Johnnie, along with Kay Loupee & Pabby Herman. Pabby told me about Johnnie. I am so sorry, my heart aches for all of you. You sound like a strong, loving, wonderful woman. Your boys will keep you strong. Please give my love to the entire family. I will be praying for you.

    Much love....

    Jackie Rayburn (Berry)
    Oviedo, FLorida

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pam, I am so very sorry for your loss..I admire your strength throughout the battle. He will be missed by all..
    Charlotte Letcher

    ReplyDelete