Friday, November 13, 2009

Opening Day is Upon Us

Oh, yeah, Hunting Season. I almost forgot about you. Well, come on . . . Johnny's been waiting for you.

With everything that has been going on in our lives since summer (yeah, we have been a little preoccupied) hunting season's approach went almost unnoticed by me. But, here it is just 36 hours or so before Opening Day. Don't you think this should be an official State Holiday? I know I do. Johnny has been in near panic mode this week to get prepared for Sunday.

Monday's chemo went pretty well, so he was confident that this weekend would not be a problem to get out to the woods and do what he does best (well . . . ). But then came Tuesday. It was a rough one. Remember the post where I discussed the Magic Elixir? It came down to that on Tuesday. Poor Johnny. He was in a cold sweat and just about as miserable as I have seen him throughout this whole mess. After the Magic Elixir kicked in, he felt better but questioned if he was going to feel fine by this weekend.

The very next day he was out in the woods with his cousin tracking a deer. So, evidently all is well. Yesterday and today both he was out putting up treestands and getting some prime hunting locations ready for the Big Day. Of course, he had a lot of help doing all of this manual labor, but he felt good getting out there and getting it all done. I am happy that he was up to it.

When Opening Day dawns bright and early, Johnny will be where he has been every November 15th since he can remember - in the woods. I will be at home (where I always stay on November 15th, for safety reasons) and will field the 1 million phone calls that will come in. The conversations go something like this:

Caller: Toad there?
Me: No, he's not in yet.
Caller: Anybody get anything?
Me: I'm not sure. I'll have Johnny call you when he gets in or calls.
Caller: I'm headed to Pooh's, have him stop by.
Me: He will be there.

I will have this conversation over and over and over until the end of muzzle loader season. No kidding.

All kidding aside, I couldn't be happier that Johnny will be able to hunt this year. It is a big relief to him, too. Last week when he shot a 6-point with his bow, he was overcome with emotion and I know Sunday will be no different for him. He will be with his dad, brothers and multiple friends over the course of the weekend, and nothing makes him happier!

I know my prayers have included a little, "Hey, how 'bout a nice big 12-point crossing Johnny's path on Sunday." That would just be the icing on the cake.

I promise I will post something if Toad gets the big buck this weekend. As with every single Opening Day, there will be stories to tell. If any of them are "PG" rated, I'll pass them along.

On the prayer request front: Johnny's blood pressure is remaining high. It is chemo-induced, but bothersome nonetheless. We have been tracking it lately, and will contact his primary care physician on Monday for some help in getting it lowered. It should be a short-term thing since he only has three cycles to go but I worry, you know?

May: Hope you are basking in the glow of chemo completion. We will miss you on chemo Mondays!

Heidi: Still looking for you on Facebook!!! Call if you need help - I can walk you through it!! Miss you.

1 comment:

  1. I'll really miss you guys too!! I'll think about you on those days!! No 10 is coming!!

    ReplyDelete