Monday, November 9, 2009

Number Nine

Nine and counting. . .

It feels better and better each time we leave the infusion center after a treatment. Johnny did well today during his chemo, with very minimal nausea. On the way home we even stopped by to check out a good deal on a "new" Suburban (New is a relative term -- it is a 2000! Still newer than what Johnny currently drives!) and then attended Jake's parent-teacher conference.

OK, can I sidetrack for a moment here on the parent-teacher conferences?

Anyone that knows me, knows that I am near dictatorial when it comes to school. We have the "Zero Electronics" policy Monday through Thursday. . . that's right: nothing with a screen, charger, battery or plug during the school week. I firmly believe that books are a great substitute to Xbox and addictinggames.com. I think our family definitely communicates more and plays more family games as a result (especially during the winter months).

But, when the school year started I was deep in the quagmire of Johnny's chemo schedule and really hadn't focused on the kids academics. Again, no Mother of the Year award headed my direction. When I realized about a week ago that the end of the first marking period was upon us, I discovered that I had no idea where the kids were with things. I hate that feeling.

Both of the boys did very well, with no thanks to me. Jake had straight A's and Quinn had all A's and two B's. Seriously, this was completely on their own, as the Dictator had other things going on in her head.

I thanked both of the boys tonight for staying on top of things with school in the absence of basically both of their parents since school has started. I am so proud of them. I also explained that since we know things with Johnny are going so well, I will be able to step it up as the Great Dictator for the remainder of the school year. Surprisingly, this wasn't met with the response that I thought it deserved!

Back to Johnny -- Johnny has a couple areas of "hyperpigmentation", one on his hand and the other on his head due to the chemo. Nothing serious at all, but is has been noted nonetheless. His blood pressure continues to run high while we are in the office, but at the end of his chemo session, it comes down nicely. I need to check it over the course of the next week to make sure that it comes down and stays down. High BP is also a side affect of the chemo.

We talked about the need for chemo after surgery and Dr. Ansari thinks that if the margins are "clean" then he won't need any more chemotherapy. This part rests in the skilled hands of the surgeon (who has yet to be named).

Johnny is now asleep, and I am heading to bed soon. I go to bed happy tonight knowing that chemo #9 is over for Johnny (ONLY THREE TO GO!) and my boys are actually capable of getting good grades without me constantly on their backs. This is the stuff of which good dreams are made.

Prayers, as always, are deeply appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I knew you had great kids when I was with them last summer. Thirty-three years of school teaching makes me a pretty good judge of character! Behind every good kid, there are good parents (and grandparents!). You and Johnny should be mighty proud of your boys. Give them a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey brawleys!

    Oooooohhhh I love those good grades - it's interesting how much our kids can still suprize us when we know them better than anyone else isn't it???
    Just wanted to let you all know that you are on my mind and in my heart all the time and we're praying everyday.
    love you!
    george, derek, chad and ryne

    ReplyDelete