Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thursday at the Brawley's

My, how fast the "good" weeks fly by!

Soccer season and football season are both coming to a close and our schedule will finally calm down for a while. Johnny's last football game was tonight (a scrimmage and pizza party to follow) and I know it is bitter-sweet for him. He has really enjoyed being involved with the boys, even in his limited capacity. He has greatly enjoyed and appreciated working with Jim Craig. Jim is an amazing coach, and it is really reflected in the 7th grade record this year. I think the 7th graders are well-prepared and will go in to 8th grade football with a lot of newly acquired confidence because of Coach Craig. Thanks again, Jim.

Jake had a soccer game tonight in the rain. Where and when did I sign up for this? I actually missed most of the first half of the game because I fell asleep in my car! This is the second time that it has happened, too. See, what happens is: Jake has to be at the field 30 minutes prior to game time to warm up. I just sit in the car (when the weather is yucky) and wait til game time. Then I truck on out to the field with my chair, blanket, and umbrella to enjoy a rousing match-up. This evening I was cozy in my little Jetta with the seat warmers toasting my buns to golden brown perfection (Oh! Perfection? I wish!) when suddenly I awoke with a start to discover that it was 6:15! The game was supposed to start at 6:00, but due to the weather they started 10 minutes early. I missed 25 minutes of a 30 minute half. My dad was at the game and was just about to come back to my car to wake me up. He was at the game last Saturday when I fell asleep, but I actually woke up when the game started, not half way through. I better not do that again, or I'll end up missing the entire game. Geez.

We are keeping close tabs on the whole H1N1 flu. I am really paranoid about Johnny getting sick. He is actually not even considered immune compromised right now because his lab values are all in the "normal" range. But even with normal labs, I don't want him subjected to anything that could affect him in a bad way. Know what I mean?

I know several people that are down with all manner of the flu, including H1N1. Just take care of yourselves out there. If you are sick, stay home and rest, drink lots of fluids, and take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Well, maybe not me per se, but you get what I'm talking about. Grant and Bryanna report that it is sweeping through Central Michigan University now. That would be awful to be away from home and really sick.

Looking forward to a basically quiet weekend. I am on call (boo!) but there is only a soccer game and a birthday party on our to-do list.

Please continue your prayers. We certainly know they work and don't want anyone to quit on us just yet.

If you don't mind me asking. . . a friend of mine from all the way back to elementary school (Marci) just found out that her sister has lung/brain cancer. I don't know any of the details, but I do know that this is a family who has just had their world rocked and could use all the prayers we can muster for them. When I found out, I got that really sick and sad feeling all over again remembering those first few days after diagnosis. It is more overwhelming than most can imagine.

Marci, please know that there are lots of people out there praying for you. People that might not even know you or Tracey; but prayers are strong and they work. Please call if there is anything I can help you with or if you have questions about doctors, etc. Praying for you all.

3 comments:

  1. Thanksfor the kind words, Pam. It was my pleasure. I had a lot of fun this year, too. If we are giving kudos,they should also go to Jeff Celie, who was also a volunteer coach and out there every day just to help kids - and Tom and Johnny. Jeff was a real trooper. It was a great season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning them, Jim. I didn't know their names (my bad) or I would have mentioned them. Johnny told me last night after the pizza party/end of the season what great guys they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brendon had a fantastic year and he almost didn't sign up to play. I think he had middle school jitters about playing football with the "big boys". He was so disappointed that he missed the scrimmage and pizza party. Thanks to all of the coaches for a wonderful football season:)

    ReplyDelete