Thursday, March 4, 2010

What We've Learned

Ok, that's it.  I am never going to admit that Johnny had a good day again.  Just when you think it is safe to go back in the water. . .

Last night was a doozy.  Seems there is this little thing called "rebound constipation".  Yeah.

Johnny's tummy started to feel tight again last night before bed, and he was just really uncomfortable.  We talked about the last time he had had any action "down there" . . . and I don't mean in the Biblical sense.  Potty action, you know?  It was on Wicked Wednesday, an entire week ago. 

In the meantime he had been significantly sick and dehydrated, but still thought that was a pretty long time to go without a poo.  I gave him some of the Magic Elixir at about 11 p.m. and waited to see if anything would happen.  He took a soak in the tub to try and relax, thinking that would help.  He took his p.m. meds in the hope that it would help him get to sleep, and hopefully in the morning something would be "moving". 

My poor Toad tossed and turned in the bed for the entire night.  He was doing figure-8s like a championship ice skater.  That would go on for about 30 minutes and he would get up and try to go again.  Back to bed, figure-8s, back to the bathroom.  Seriously, for the entire night.  While he was trying to find a comfortable position, I would lay still as a board so that in case he got into a good spot, I wouldn't ruin it for him by changing my position.  When he would fall asleep for a few minutes at a time, he would moan  --  it was pitiful and my heart broke for him.  I gave him some good old Sennokot around 2 and another batch of Magic Elixir at 3:30-ish.  At almost 5 this morning he has some minimal "success" and we both felt that he had probably turned the corner.

It was really scary from about 2 to 5, though.  I figured it was probably a bowel obstruction caused by surgical adhesions that had already started to form.  Probably wrapped tightly around the catheter connecting the HAI pump to the liver, too.  At one point I said, "Do I need to take you to the hospital?"  He didn't think we had gotten to that point yet, but I was completely serious.  He promised he would let me if he thought things weren't going to work out from the potty end -- so to speak.  Again, this is where a little knowledge can go a long way towards driving you insane, especially when it is the middle of the night.

Happily, things started to "move", and how.  I took the boys to school and when I came back, Johnny was comfortably sleeping in bed, exhausted.  I joined him and we both ended up sleeping until almost noon!  Obviously, he has been tired today, but overall much, much better than last night. 

And just think, in 4 days we get to start this cycle all over again!  I promise you, I have learned sooooo much in the last two weeks, and it is my solemn oath that I will do a better job with his next cycle.  Here the plans according to what we have experienced with Round One:
  1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate all weekend long prior to chemo.  He won't argue the point with me this time, I'll bet.
  2. Start anti-nausea, anti-emetics before arriving at chemo.  (Emend the wonder drug is contra-indicated with this chemo protocol, dang it.)
  3. Start CPT-11 Imodium protocol at first sign of "tight" feeling in his belly.
  4. If he has significant vomiting &/or firerhea this time, I won't even hesitate to take him in for hydration first thing in the morning.  I'm not playing the "wait and see" game this time!
  5. As soon as vomiting/firerhea stops, wait a day and start Sennokot to avoid "rebound constipation". 
  6. Push fluids.  Fluids are our friend.
  7. Pray even harder.
The worst thing about this has been not knowing what to expect.  Now that we have an idea, we both feel much better able to get a handle on things sooner rather than later.  That is comforting.

What really makes Johnny feel good is the visits and phone calls.  He is such a social butterfly that being basically trapped in these four walls is very difficult for him.  Please continue to pop over for a chat or to ring him up on the phone.  If he has to cut the visit short because he isn't feeling well, then that is what he will do, but please don't NOT come over because you don't think you should.  He loves the company.  (Thanks for the visits today, Jeff and Dave!)

We will just relax and hang out over the weekend, anticipating Round Two.  I think the next round is ours.

5 comments:

  1. My posts aren't posting...it says they will once they are okay'd and then....no post.

    I have great stuff to say (as we all know)
    this is a test post so if it shows up, I'll catch up with you in earnest tomorrow!
    love you all-
    Georgeann, Derek, Chad & Ryne Nolan too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny got those "social butterfly" genes from his dad and mom, John and Ginger. I'm glad that he is feeling better. Sounds like you have a plan, so best wishes! Prayers are coming from the U.P. and our church prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgeann,

    I couldn't figure that either. Your comments would show up in the comment moderation place, and then not post. I took off moderation, so maybe your 'puter didn't like my 'puter moderating you! I had someone post something not-so-nice, which lead me to put the moderation on. Unless I have anymore of that, I'll just leave moderation off.

    Love you and love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. rrrrrrrrrrr to people who are not so nice! When Ryne was sick a fellow cancer Mom had to take her son's caringbridge site down because of some really horrible awful people who felt the need to judge the decisions she was making while her 6 WEEK old baby was just diagnosed with a rare and almost always fatal form of cancer.

    I didn't want you all to think that I wasn't checking in and praying my pants off still! I guess I could be moderated by worse people than you.....which got me thinkin'

    Don't you wish you could moderate people's words that they say like you can moderate posts? Just think how many fewer hurt feelings and misunderstandings there would be....
    but I digress.

    How's Toad? I am beginning to worry cause no new post this week yet. Just too busy to sit down and type it out I hope...
    Still praying and posting and loving you all-
    Georgeann, Derek, Chad and Ryne Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Immediate Posting!!!!
    See above

    ReplyDelete