Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Maybe a little better?

OK, before you all start hollering about how long it has been since I last posted, I just want you to know that I am trying to protect you all from the redundancy of day-to-day life here at Chemo Central.

When I say that each day consists of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea &/or constipation, sleeping, and a freezing Toad, I am not kidding.  Just scramble up the order in which these events occur and you could have any given day, any given hour.

I will say that yesterday and today both have shown improvements.  Johnny has been much more wakeful than he has been in quite a while.  His color is a bit better -- still on the pale side, but pinking up.

Right now, I am wondering about his blood counts (especially the Hemoglobin and Hematocrit  --  components of the Red Blood Cells).  He has been super cold over the past few days and just can't warm up.  When I got home from work yesterday, I was getting dinner on the table and seriously thought I was having a "Waking Hours Hot Flash".  That would have been a new one to me.  Most of my "flashes" have been of the nocturnal variety.  Johnny was laying on the couch all snuggled up in sweats, a hoodie, and a fuzzy blanket. 

"I am roasting to death!" I tell Johnny.  "Did you turn up the heat, or something?"

"I might have," he admits from under the blanket.

Yeah, maybe.  I looked at the thermostat and it was almost 80 degrees in the house.  I am not kidding!  And here I thought my peri-menopausal crap had kicked into overdrive.  What relief.  And, I turned the thermostat back down to 68 degrees.

Progress is slow, but sure.  I hate that it is already Tuesday of Week 2 and Week 1 looms dark on the next horizon. 

The good news is we are getting away for the weekend  --  ALONE!  Our 22nd anniversary is on the 26th and we have been gifted a weekend at the Korner Kottage Bed and Breakfast in Sutton's Bay, Michigan.  We decided that this weekend would be the best since we are as far away from chemo as we can get.  How lucky are we?!?!  I have never been to a B&B before, and I am completely stoked to have Johnny all to myself for the whole weekend.  Thanks so very much to Linda and Jim Munro for this incredibly special gift.  It couldn't come at a more important time for us.

On a completely different note, please go to HERE and vote for the cute little redhead (#2565).  He is my nephew, Griffin -- Carla's little guy.  (This is a Cute Baby Contest that a radio station is putting on.)  Please vote once a day until March 29th!  I want him to win sooooo bad!!!   Thanks, I knew I could count on all my blog friends!  By the way, Carla is NOT happy with the picture that they posted.  They took the pictures at a Family Show at Century Center.  I guess they took several pictures and posted the ONE that he isn't smiling in.  No matter, he is still cute as a freakin' bug . . . so, VOTE!

Thanks for checking in on us.  It really does mean a lot.

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! 22 years....I swear to you, my Mom just dredged up the photo of the two of us at your wedding and we were trying to remember how long ago it was! At least we remembered that it was from your wedding. I also remember the toast from your best man (Johnny's brother, I think) who made good on his $100 bet that Johnny could NEVER actually "get" a girl like you to go out with him.....isn't it funny the random trivia that one can retain?? Especially since my son thinks I'm a whack-a-do when I have to u-turn at the end of our street and go back to make sure I shut the garage door at least twice a week...but I can remember what your wedding toast was about!

    I'm happy that the two of you are getting away for a few days...well deserved.

    Enjoy & Happy Anniversary!
    love you -

    Georgeann, Derek, Chad & Ryne Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!
    Continue to "Stay Strong"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam and Johnny - enjoy your weekend getaway together! Enjoy the peace, relaxation and absence of stresses on the home front. Daily thoughts, prayers and wishes always head your way. Keep the Toad "hoppin"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get that Toad an electric blanket! :) J.C.Penney has them on sale! I got a nice full-size Sealy E.B. w/automatic shut-off after 10 hours.. for 29.99 online...then he can wrap himself up and be comfy-diddle!...

    ReplyDelete