Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not Quite Perfected

What should I say about Round Two?  -- (keep it clean, this is a family show) --

My hope was that we had learned enough from Round One that we could conquer Round Two (R2) straight out of the starting gates.  Evidently, we didn't get everything right.

From the last post you know that R2 caused us to spend 8 1/2 hours at the infusion center.  Even though we couldn't fill the HAI pump, I still felt pretty confident that the extra hydration they gave Johnny was going to go a long way to improving things this week.  I also thought that the Sandostatin shot was going to be the blessing that Emend was with Protocol One (P1); it did start off that way, actually.

Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty similar to last round.  Nausea and vomiting started off late Tuesday night and continued through Wednesday night.  The Sandostatin shot kept the firerhea at bay, but also caused some slight constipation.  Obviously we needed to give him a little something for the constipation, so I went really slowly with the Colace. 

Fast forward to Thursday evening:  The vomiting has stopped (for the most part) but the firerhea has started.  We just can't seem to find a happy medium with the diarrhea/constipation.  Talk about frustrating.

I will most likely take Johnny in tomorrow for IV hydration.  He is starting to look a little green around the gills, and I don't want to put it off until Monday.  Waiting til Monday last time was a really bad idea.

So, if I could just ask for a few more prayers, I would really appreciate anything you could send up on Johnny's behalf.  This has been so much harder than we expected.

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish we could somehow make this easier for you guys. We will pray for relief for your sweet toad and peace for you and the boys. I know how hard it is to watch a loved one suffer and I wish I could ease your heartache. Please tell Johnny we are praying for him.

    The Meek's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying and praying and praying......
    love you-
    Georgeann, Derek, Chad & Ryne Nolan

    stupid stupid cancer.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with Making me Crazy!! Take care and can't stop thinking of all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers coming your way constantly. I wish there was something more we could do...:( Hope is strong, keep it going as we all do the same.

    The Andres Family

    ReplyDelete