Monday, June 14, 2010

340 Days Ago

My first blog entry was 340 days ago.  It wasn't a happy blog to start, but I felt an overwhelming need to keep our friends and family as up-to-date as possible with the diagnosis and treatment of Johnny's cancer.  I never thought there would be a more difficult day in my life after that, but I was wrong.

The worst day came a week ago yesterday, Sunday, June 6th, 2010, when we had to tell Quinn and Jake that Johnny was now considered "terminal".

We have been completely honest with the boys from diagnosis until now.  They have know the ups and down of the whole process.  We actually found out at the last chemo session that we were in "salvage" mode.  Trying to keep the lymph nodes in check for as long as possible.  On his last scan I explained that there are many lymph nodes involved in both the upper abdomen and chest.  As of now, nothing has shown up in the lungs, and we hope that it stays that way.

We decided to wait until the boys were completely done with school to tell them.  I feel like the moment we told them is the official end of their childhood.  They've been robbed.  They will be robbed even further.

We sat down on Sunday night after Johnny wouldn't let me stall any longer.  We had the boys sit in the living room with us, and Johnny started talking.  His monologue was absolutely beautiful and part of me wishes I would have recorded it so I could remember his loving words to our boys forever.  He first talked about what the doctor had told us, that nothing was working and there wasn't much left to try.  We still have the "experimental" option out there, but we haven't committed to that.  He then talked about how much he loves them and gave specific examples to each of them of things that he loves:  Quinn's old soul and love of the outdoors,  Jake's humor and compassionate soul for animals.  He told them that he knows we will do fine because all three of us are strong together and individually, so when one of us doesn't feel strong, the other two will carry the load for a while.  He told them both of his wishes for them in the future and his desire for them to follow their hearts and do exactly what they want to do for a career.  He wants to make sure there are no missed opportunities in their lives just because he isn't around.

Johnny talked about the potential for a miracle.  "If God chooses to spare my life on Earth, it is because I have work left to do here.  If He chooses to take me, then I have work to do in Heaven."  The calmness and reassurance in his voice was so soothing.  It is hard to explain, but a real calmness surrounded the boys and me.

I wish I could say I was strong and stoic during the whole thing, but I sobbed like a baby.  I'll never forget Quinn's piercing look into my eyes asking the question, "Is this THE TALK?"  I simply and silently nodded as Johnny continued.  I had always promised Quinn that when the doctor said he was terminal, we would have "the talk" as a family.  To see him look at his dad with the knowledge that we had limited time left was soul-wrenching.  Jake basically had the "I-told-you-so" thing going.  If you remember from the beginning, Jake thought that cancer automatically equalled dying.  I'm so sad for him that as his mommy I couldn't prove him wrong and make everything all better.  As the boys would say, "Epic Fail!"

The last thing we talked about with them was Quality vs. Quantity.  We obviously want him around as long as possible, but at what cost.  Johnny told them that he would much rather feel good for 6 months and quit chemotherapy, than to feel awful for 9 months and continue chemotherapy.  Fortunately, they are both at an age that they could comprehend this concept.  As hard as it is to say out loud, I completely agree.  It is an easy concept to buy into on the days that he is stuck in bed feeling terrible.  Not so easy to buy into on the days that he is up and on the move, looking and feeling fine.

As Johnny's wife and Quinn and Jake's mom, I feel like I'm on a roller coaster.  I want to be strong for them, and feel like I do a good job most of the time.  Other times, I am a puddle and just can hold things together.  I let the boys see me cry, because I want them to know it is fine to open the floodgates and let it out.  I just try really hard to not make it a daily occurrence. 

I know we have kept this news from the majority of you for a little while, and I hope you'll forgive us.  Johnny was very specific in telling certain people in a certain order and timeframe before I put it on the blog.  That is probably why I haven't blogged in two weeks.  I couldn't think of anything else to say.

Now that I have that out of my system, I'll be blogging a bit more regularly.  I promise.

And to let you know, Johnny's lab values all rebounded this week at chemo.  His WBCs are back up to 7.  I forgot to ask for a copy of his labs before we left today, but I know that everything came back up that was low last time.  Hemoglobin was 11-ish, Platelets were 155.  Better.

He received the same chemo as last time, and was again sent home without the 46-hour infusion.  Dr. Ansari believes that there is really no use in compromising his overall health for the little (if any) benefit the 5-FU was providing.  It is the other two drugs (Avastin and Oxilaplatin) that help with the lymph nodes.

Please continue to pray for us all.  Johnny especially, Quinn and Jake, too.  Throw me in there at the end if you have a second or two extra.  My boys are the most important right now if you have a specific prayer order you follow.

We will be fine, I promise.  As Johnny continually tells us, he has the easy job. . . it's those of us who will be left behind missing him terribly that have the hard job.

14 comments:

  1. Pam,

    I can't even begin to imagine what you and your family are going through. I am so sorry to hear this news and will continue to pray for the boys as they are dealing with this news and I definitely have more than a second or two to throw you in there. You are so incredibly strong for being in the position that you are in. You are all in my thoughts and prayers on a daily basis! Let us know if there is ANYTHING that you need.

    Sara Grishaber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know your family well, except for being "the Brawley's", but I have followed your blog for some time. I will lift your children and husband and you up in prayer this evening. I have three children myself and can't even imagine being in your position. I hope that even it is some small minute peace of comfort to know there are people you don't even know praying for you and yours. God Bless your family! I pray for peace,comfort,understanding & a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam,
    Some children go a whole lifetime with a father, but not a dad. Some wives have a husband, but not a soul-mate!!! You and your boys have been blessed with both! I pray that you will be comforted by knowing that you have been loved by one of the most wonderful human beings that God has ever made. As my life goes on, I often wonder what God has in mind when he chooses to take great people too soon. My thought on that is that he allows us to be touched by only a few souls in our lifetimes that really get into our hearts and whom we will never forget. Johnny is a blessing to us all and you have had the honor of being his wife and the mother of his boys. He in turn has had your love and the joy of those boys. It's not fair and it's not long enough. It is never long enough...but always remember that you have been touched by an angel and you will forever carry him in your heart. Miracles happen, Johnny is one. I pray that he will continue proving to us all, what a miracle really looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn cancer. I'm so sorry and wish there was something I could do to help you guys. Johnny seems to be in a much better state of mind than I would be!

    Having been through chemo and a bone marrow transplant, I completely agree with Johnny in that he would want to go out feeling good rather than in pain. It's a little hard to swallow, but I wouldn't have done it any different.

    I've learned that certain things in the past don't matter. You can look to the future with a positive face. But live right now...because right now is a gift. That's why they call it the 'present.'

    Nothing I can say will help any of you feel any better. Just know that there are those of us that will be here when you need us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your post on an airplane sitting while boarding finished.....then burst into sobs. My seatmates, concerned at my reaction, tried to comfort me, so I told them a love story. A story about a young friendship that turned into a powerful love. About two caring individuals who have raised wonderful sons, with tender hearts and quirky humor.....and they all vowed to send up prayers for you all! In that moment complete strangers shared and were moved by something that connected us so completely as human beings it amazed me. I know that Johnny and all of you will amaze me too.
    In it's purest form it's "Simply love" and yours continues to shine through and challenge us all with it's intensity to love well. Many Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate the fact that you even had to have "the talk"...

    I love the fact that you received enough strength from God to be honest and open with the boys...

    I hate the word terminal, it insinuates that hope should be disqualified in favor of likelihood...personally, I am never in favor of statistics and am a huge fan of HOPE, I choose to pray for a miracle and refuse to rule that out as a possibility.

    I HATE cancer, you probably already knew that.

    I LOVE you...all four of you, and hope you remember that always.

    praying for strength, peace, time and a miracle-

    georgeann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam , What a beautiful family you have. What a wonderful husband you have. And 2 very strong and wonderful boys! I am so sorry for all of this. My heart gose out to you and your family. I am so touched by your words. Sometimes we dont understand things that happen in our life, but remember that God will never put on us more than we can handle.. And Johnny is os right when he said that if God spares his life he has work here to do, if not he is needed in heaven. If that is the case heaven will be a very lucky place on that day to have Johnny enter in. I love you both and i will be calling out your names (you , Johnny , Quinn, and Jake)to the Lord. God Bless you all .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only hope that I and my family will be as strong as your family has shown.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too do not know your family personally. While I may not know you deeply- I know the most important thing about your family- LOVE. Hold onto the love.... Hold onto each other....

    "Life isn't about waiting for the rain to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain."

    You are being upheld in prayer by family, friends, and strangers.... we love you and are rooting for you....

    ReplyDelete
  10. My memories of the Brawley family centered on the boys preschool years long ago. Even then, it was evident what a special family unit you have together. There are a few moms and a few dads that stand out throughout the years and Quinn and Jake - your dad was one of those standouts. He always put you boys first and if you were unhappy so was he. Words cannot express how sorry I am for you to have to go through such a difficult time. When your hearts are heavy fill your mind with happy memories. Those will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart is just breaking for all of you....
    I wish I had the perfect thing to say, but I don't. Pam, I am putting YOU first on the prayer list. You are carrying so much and I know that "we" as Mama's always put everyone else first, so you will be first this time for me. Johnny and the boys are also at the top of the list!! Just remember what a wonderful gift God has given to each of you...the time you have together and all of the memories you continue to create. Make the most of this time. Lots of smiles and a million hugs! God Bless each of you and I hope that he will hold your breaking hearts in his healing hands. ~Lori Baxter

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so very sorry to hear about what is happening. We absolutly LOVE Johnny for what he has meant to Ben. Johnny has the ability to embrace and appreciate what is special in kids and he so embraced Ben. He will always have a special place in our hearts. Our prayers are with you, Johnny, Quinn and Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog has brought me to tears many time. This one definitely the most. Your family is a very strong family, especially you and the boys. We keep you all in our hearts and prayers. If only some day soon someone would find the cure for cancer, but until then we wait, we pray, and we wish that our beloved ones weren't going through the difficult fight. Stay strong, it will help the boys, but most importantly it will help Johnny know that your going to be fine when he's gone. With all the love in the world,
    Megan McKeel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. Praying for peace, strength and a miracle for all the Brawleys!!

    ReplyDelete